SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased boat included a Cruiseair carry-on 5000 air condition unit. I was going to just sell it but the more I think about it, why not just keep it. Get a small generator and I could have ac on those hot summer days when out at an anchorage. Hyundai offers a 2000w generator for about $550. would that generator run this ac unit? Would also be nice to make up a cord to plug in to the shore power plug and be able to use my coffee maker and microwave while on the hook.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't anchor next to me.
Jim
This is one reason I took a long absence from sail net. Jim, if you and I meet at a marina some where and I brought this question up in general conversation. Would you have the same response? I don't think you would. You are probably a very pleasant person in public. I'm just asking a serious question. plenty of people run generators on boats. Why is it when some people get behind a computer screen the a-hole switch automatically turns on.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
How many watts does a Cruiseair need to kick off, and how many does it need to run after that?

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
People probably wouldn't tell you what they are thinking in person and you might never know that Jim's reaction was what those around you actually think. Not defending the internet, just saying that running a portable generator in an anchorage can be very annoying.

Still, if I were you I would keep the ac and figure out how not to bug your neighbors, or use it far enough away. The shore cable is a great idea.

·
Registered
110 Posts
nccouple, I also had a Cruiseair 5000 btu air conditioner and tried to run it with my Honda 2000W. The problem is the start-up draw, it was too much for my generator. My Cruiseair worked great at the dock and cooled down our 32ft boat with no problem. I am also located in the same area.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright these are the specs I found online. I'm not an electrician but I'm sure one you guys will have an answer. Also the Hyundai is a 2200w not 2000w.
Capacity ................................................................. 4800 BTU/HR
Height
(Above Deck) .................................................... 13 3/4 in (350 mm)
Length .............................................................. 30 1/2 in (775 mm)
Width ................................................................ 15 3/4 in (400 mm)
Weight ...................................................................... 60 lb (27 kg)
Amps (Running) ................................... 6.0 at 115V (3.0 at 230V)
Amps (Starting) .................................. 18.0 at 115V (9.0 at 230V)
Minimum
Hatch Size .......................................... 12 x 12 in (305 x 305 mm)
Maximum
Hatch Size .......................................... 24 x 24 in (610 x 610 mm)
Thanks

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The noise level of my Honda 2000 generator was way less than the boats beside me that were yelling and screaming carrying on while boozing it up! That will give you an indication, however the wattage should start your AC since the startup load should be covered by the generator.

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
I've found it's not quite that cut and dry. Line loss and resistance at the plugs could disappear that 200 watts in a heartbeat. I'd really take the A/C unit to the store or if that's not possible, buy a 2500 watt unit just to be safe.
Every calculation Cleve and I did suggested our 3.5 kw inverter should run the refer system, but it just couldn't get started.
I would also suggest that the Honda units are considerably quieter (at least they were some years back) than the others and they might be worth the few extra bucks for that.

Reactions: bljones

·
Registered
476 Posts
I run my 12.000 BTU out of Honda EU2000, and works perfectly. It is quiet enough in a safe distance from other boats and never got a complaint. It is necessary to install your AC making sure it first start the fan, then the water pump, then the compressor. It will demand less peak current on start, and finally, a capacitor start will handle the job for on/off compressor duty cycle. I don't have the capacitor, so I remove the eco-mode from genset on first start, set my AC to a cool temp that will never be reached, then put eco-mode back. It runs nice for 5-6 hours until the AC compressor turns off automatically for a while, to cool the compressor. If you're fast enough, turn eco-mode off again until compressor restart for another period, otherwise, just start all it over again.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People probably wouldn't tell you what they are thinking in person and you might never know that Jim's reaction was what those around you actually think. Not defending the internet, just saying that running a portable generator in an anchorage can be very annoying.

Still, if I were you I would keep the ac and figure out how not to bug your neighbors, or use it far enough away. The shore cable is a great idea.
The ac and generator will be stowed away 95% of the time. But I have been out there when the temp is reaching 100 deg. I'm still not even sure If I'm going to keep the unit.
Why is it though, on sailnet and other forums people get diarrhea of the mouth. I chose to take the high road and not insult people. I got banned from sailnet for a week because of my political views. I will not touch that subject again or step foot in the off topic forums.
Anyway there is a lot of knowledge from all of you wonderful fellow sailors. Guess I will wade thru the crap for the valuable information I'm receiving.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,136 Posts
Consider a Dometic (rebranded Magna) 3500watt inverter type generator... They are considerably quieter than most traditional generators (not a quiet as say a Yamaha or a Honda, but pretty quiet)... about $800. They are certified for use in campgrounds.

3500 watts is real, and we run a 13,500 btu A/C unit (220V) off of it.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nccouple, I also had a Cruiseair 5000 btu air conditioner and tried to run it with my Honda 2000W. The problem is the start-up draw, it was too much for my generator. My Cruiseair worked great at the dock and cooled down our 32ft boat with no problem. I am also located in the same area.
Hi waterwks4me, Our boat is in Oriental. I guess some people call it the sailing capital of the world. I'm really excited and looking forward to this up coming season. Our new boat is a Watkins 29. Its a big difference from our old 24 foot trailerable. I'm already worried about her, had a nor'easter come in a few days ago and raised the water levels quite a bit. Did I tie her off right? anyway nice meeting you.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The noise level of my Honda 2000 generator was way less than the boats beside me that were yelling and screaming carrying on while boozing it up! That will give you an indication, however the wattage should start your AC since the startup load should be covered by the generator.
We were anchored at Madeira Beach, Fl one night and experienced that exact same phenomena. The couple in one of the boats had a real knockdown drag out scream fest all night that we lay in our bunk listening to. The next morning, I got up and noticed the boat in between us was running a Honda EU2000i on the foredeck that I couldn't hear at all, (and, didn't even realize was running until we dinghied past him to go get breakfast). :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
We were anchored at Madeira Beach, Fl one night and experienced that exact same phenomena. The couple in one of the boats had a real knockdown drag out scream fest all night that we lay in our bunk listening to. The next morning, I got up and noticed the boat in between us was running a Honda EU2000i on the foredeck that I couldn't hear at all, (and, didn't even realize was running until we dinghied past him to go get breakfast). :D
Exactly... The only reason for me to anchor away from other boats is not my generator but the noise of those other boaters carrying on with nonsense.

The Honda's are very quiet and almost unnoticeable unless you go straight to it... if only Honda can supply the same noise level to a 4000 watt unit in the same sized generator. The Honda units and be cascaded together with a special cable... you can piggy back them to get 4000 watts... (I imagine the other brands of generators could also be piggy backed too).

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
This is one reason I took a long absence from sail net. Jim, if you and I meet at a marina some where and I brought this question up in general conversation. Would you have the same response? I don't think you would. You are probably a very pleasant person in public. I'm just asking a serious question. plenty of people run generators on boats. Why is it when some people get behind a computer screen the a-hole switch automatically turns on.
I believe Jim responded correctly..though it may have come across some what hard.. As an owner of an on-board Honda 2000 generator which by-the-way is one of the quietest generators available..I still would consider not running it in a crowded anchorage. First I have experienced a very similar Honda generator on board another vessel anchored ahead of my vessel and the sound was just above conversation levels on that vessel. Also the exhaust fumes from said mentioned generator was somewhat obnaxious on vessels directly down wind. With that I now try to run my generator with consideration of others..especially in a crowded anchorage. Just my 2 cents from personal experience..

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.