SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,346 Posts
Reaction score
I've used genoa sleeves on a set of sailing club Harbor 20s. The use of a sleeve adds about 15 minutes to the getting underway/closing up time and I considered this practice a real pain. These weren't my boats... If you are using one on a sail that is not regularly deployed, fine, but otherwise I think it a bad idea except for the hardcore racer who wants the perfect sail despite the inconvenience.

· ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,346 Posts
Reaction score
.... So we go to roller furling to make life easy but the weight of the all purpose sail hinders our boats sailing ability, heavy sheets, heavy cloth, luff tape and foam not to mention expense. ....
I doubt that the dacron UV shield that Doyle glued to our new 135% adds even a pound to the weight of the sail and it certainly has no effect on the general use of the sail. I'm not sure what the comment about heavy sheets or cloth has to do with furling. But I would think the cost of luff tape and foam (if you want it) is a toss up versus hanks.

That said, I still think that the furling genoa is the bestest invention for a sailor who has to leave the boat most nights. Combining with a UV shield, the system allows you to spend most of your sailing time...sailing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.