SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Valiant 37 the genoa sheets were 3/4", to big for the Barient 28 ST winch. How does one decide on the size of sheet to use. How would I find the recommended sheet size for the winch?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
When I bought my Valiant 37 the genoa sheets were 3/4",
Holy moley! :eek:

to big for the Barient 28 ST winch.
I should think so. 3/4" would probably be too big for the Harken 40s on our boat.

How does one decide on the size of sheet to use.
It's a trade-off between size and hand feel. Bigger-diameter lines are easier to get a good grip on, but they're heavier, take up more space on winches, and are more expensive.

How would I find the recommended sheet size for the winch?
I don't know as there is such a thing.

We're using 7/16" StaSet for jib/genoa sheets because 7/16" was what we were replacing. There's also a set of 3/8" sheets in the locker, which would probably be better for the light air genoa.

Our main halyard is 7/16" something-or-other, and it works fine on our #28 cabin-top winches.

Jim

·
55,000nm 2X South Pacific
24 Posts
I'd use 3/8" line for sheets. Yes, it will be a little harder on the hands. But, easier to store the line, better for light air, and it will run through the blocks easier and best of cheaper.

If you have self tailing winches or rope clutches sized for the 3/4" line it would be wise to check that the smaller line will grip ok.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Half inch Sta-Set workes well for our 38'. See "http://harken.com/calculators/GenoaLoading.aspx" for loading calculation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts