SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

New to sailnet and looking for forums specific to geographical areas. For example, I have a time-sensitive inquiry about companies for shipping a hull from Washington (US) to Vancouver (Canada).

Otherwise, lots of great information here. I've been reading for some time and have reconsidered at least a dozen decisions since I started.

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
I think the only geographically specific forum that gets any use is the Chesapeake bay one. But lots of folks use the "New Posts" button so it may well not matter what forum you post it in.

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
... But lots of folks use the "New Posts" button so it may well not matter what forum you post it in.
It does to your mod who spends the first part of her forum viewing time moving threads to the correct forums. :)

Reactions: baywater

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
It does to your mod who spends the first part of her forum viewing time moving threads to the correct forums. :)
Well, I meant between a local forum and the general, not that he could put it anywhere. I had a hard time even finding the regional forums, under the destinations forum. But since many here use "New Posts" it would get noticed by those who might be able to help in either case.

SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska

Seems a bit hidden, not to mention not very active as the last post was in June of this year and only 11 threads this year.

·
19,489 Posts
Hi there,

New to sailnet and looking for forums specific to geographical areas. For example, I have a time-sensitive inquiry about companies for shipping a hull from Washington (US) to Vancouver (Canada).

Otherwise, lots of great information here. I've been reading for some time and have reconsidered at least a dozen decisions since I started.
Washington DC or Washington State? Seems there's nowhere in WA waters that you couldn't sail it to Vancouver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Washington DC or Washington State? Seems there's nowhere in WA waters that you couldn't sail it to Vancouver.
It has a wooden hull with the putty raked out. I'll look into having it recaulked locally, but at this point I'm trying to settle the costs and whether I can transport it to where I need it in good time before signing for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trying to get work done by remote control leads to expensive heartache.

You have four options.

1. Try remote control.
2. Go spend some time in WA to get the work down.
3. Move the boat to you.
4. Hire someone to act as your agent.

If I ended up buying this one, I'm hoping to to go with 3. I have considered 4 but am not sure what kind of arrangement that would be. I'd want to make sure that that person was accountable. Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Trying to get work done by remote control leads to expensive heartache.

You have four options.

1. Try remote control.
2. Go spend some time in WA to get the work down.
3. Move the boat to you.
4. Hire someone to act as your agent.
If I ended up buying this one, I'm hoping to to go with 3. I have considered 4 but am not sure what kind of arrangement that would be. I'd want to make sure that that person was accountable. Any suggestions would be welcome.
I do some yacht management. There are three ways I work with customers:

1. Charge a percentage of total billings; this is common but it strains the relationship with the customer because I make more if the bills go up.
2. Hourly rate; this is lower risk for me and I use it when getting started with a new boat or for small jobs.
3. Fixed (usually monthly) price; this shifts the risk to me but makes it clear to the customer that I have no interests other than his or hers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for this. I've started looking into yacht management services in the area.

Is it possible to point to or give me an idea of a fee scale that's standard? Depending on the boat, services might include overseeing a repair, making sure she connects with the deliverer, or being present for a survey.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts