SailNet Community banner

281 - 284 of 284 Posts

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
I'm not picking through 280 posts. If anyone wants to start a non-political thread on solar panels out in the sailing forum, have at it.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
...I do buy local when it makes sense, but let's say I'm buying a solar panel in the town where I keep my boat(3 hours north of my home), first no one has any panels in stock. Ok no big deal, next choice is to go to a marina and have them order me a panel, what do you want to bet I'm going to pay a premium for that panel. Well I could keep it in state the closest place I know that has panels is a 4 hour car ride away and I got to take the truck so 100.00 in gas each way... Well last is the interwebs. Amazon, ebay and a like place the order and 2 days later it show's up at the boat club. ...
I suspect we’re on the same page with all this Bob. I like to buy as local as possible, but I’ll only be a financial martyr up to a certain point. I don’t mind paying a small premium to support local businesses, but I’m not extreme about it (nor am I rich enough).

First Walmart and now Amazon (and their like) have made it very difficult for smaller businesses to thrive. Competition at its finest. But there is a real downside to all of us chasing the lowest prices. It forces companies to seek cheaper and cheaper methods of production.

This is why manufacturing has shifted “offshore”. It has gone to where labour is cheap and so-called “red tape” (like pesky environmental or labour standards) are low. These tariffs are an attempt to artificially increase the cost of offshore production, thereby encouraging local business.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Get your LEDs while you can too:

How tariffs on China could make your life more expensive

This hits home for me, because I'm designing a consumer device to print and polymerize UV-curable materials, and the LED curing lamp is about 25% of the product's cost. A 25% tariff on the lamp, if imposed, may kill my project. It could lead to job losses in my US-based company. Of course, we could just make the whole device in China and import it without any tariffs (since this class of devices is not on the tariff list). We'd make a nice profit, but even more Americans would lose their jobs when we offshore the production.

In a trade war, there are far more losers than winners.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It seems as though Trump is winning this one too! You guys are going to have a very miserable life if you continue to disregard the facts. The other countries have had tariffs on US goods for a long time. Trump's position was that if you put a tariff on our goods we will reciprocate with an appropriate tariff on yours. Sorry for those of you who believe that you should reap the benefits of slave labor in order to keep your costs low but I do not float that same canal with you.

281 - 284 of 284 Posts