SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Learning the HARD way...
7,888 Posts
Reaction score
FYI - the 6 pack license is a REQUIREMENT if you are receiving consideration (not necessarily cash) for taking people in a boat with an engine. I know one guy that taught sailing, yet thought that because, in lieu of pay, he was receiving a free charter for a week, he had a work around... Sorry to say it, but, this was illegal.

If you wish to teach sailing, and the boat has an engine, you need an OUPV to be legal. If you want to captain charters, you need an OUPV to be legal.

Last I checked, the TWIC card was also necessary to get the OUPV.

7,888 Posts
Reaction score
capta is correct... I know that I posted somewhere on SailNet what the requirements were...

'Scuse me a min....

Here it is;
I completed the Captain's course, and have submitted my OUPV paperwork to the USCG Regional Examination Center in Toledo, OH. My motivation is that it is a goal that I set, and because I am between jobs, I had the time. I am hopeful that I will be able to find a low-paying job in the marine industry...

In the hope that others can benefit from my experience, here are my observations;
  1. There is NO focus on sailing, the course is exclusively for powerboat operators
  2. While the course costs $550, there is another $445 in associated costs (Physical, Drug Test, Test Fee, Application Fee, CPR/First Aid Certificate, etc.)
  3. I see no reason to learn how to maintain manilla/hemp lines in this day, but it is part of the test. (hint, manilla will rot from moisture, and nylon will not:rolleyes:)
  4. The rules of the road section pertaining to sound signals and lights IS valuable, but you can get this as effectively and at a lower cost in an ASA accredited class.

I hope this helps!
and
I forgot to mention ~$145 for a TWIC [edit - I understand that the fee is now ~$130] in my earlier post.

That brings the total to ~$595 for misc, and $550 for the class.
I have actually achieved my dream of a low-paying part time spring/summer job in the maritime industry! Woo-Hoo! I interview this week to get another lower-paying job in FL for the winter!

7,888 Posts
Reaction score
BoatUS gave me a ~10% discount on my insurance policy. The ticket is necessary to teach sailing on an auxiliary equipped boat.

7,888 Posts
Reaction score
There was nothing on the application about Captain's License. I called them and told the underwriter that I had it. I then asked if there was any discount, and she said yes! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.