SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now is the time to get that Captain's license that you've been wanting.

Putting together a group so we can all save money with a group rate.

Are you interested? New York City or Long Island. Edit..this could also be the online course so location doesn't matter.

Regards,
Brad

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Edit..this could also be the online course so location doesn't matter.

Regard,
Brad

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looking at this place for getting my captain's license in the spring The Nautical School - NY Maritime & Nautical Resources

Normally it's $699, including test fee if you pay in advance enough. (I believe the evening of 1st Aid/CPR is extra.) Planning to talk them into a group rate since we have a group of people in on this.

Who else is interested? If you don't have the hours, you can always get the testing out of the way.

They have classes in these locations:
Essex, CT
Bridgeport, CT
Stonington, CT
Manasquan, NJ
New Rochelle, NY
Manhattan, NY
Lindenhurst, NY​

So for the spring the plan is: captain's license (including 1st aid/CPR), towing endorsement (why not?), sailing endorsement, and perhaps even 100 ton master.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: christian.hess

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for the good thoughts and background. A few friends here in will be taking the course with me, just not sure we'll all be in the same classrooom as some are in Manhattan. I could commute-in to take it with them, but that would make for a long day. Might do it anyway, would be more enjoyable that way.

Was talking about this at high school sporting event to someone I was sitting next to. He pulled out his driver's license and sure enough, there was a little anchor printed on the bottom of the card. He's a captain.

Regards,
Brad

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Back before electricity (1980) I bought a two-book prep course for 40 bucks, and read it. I had enough time for what was then called "Ocean Operator", now known as Master, Near Coastal, on inspected vessels. When I say "had enough time", I had grown up around the water, raced, cruised, worked in (Dad's) yacht brokerage/sales, delivered some of those boats around New England (from Marblehead). Even so, and being a Boy Scout about the "days", I had to count my time rowing out to these boats and back to get what I recall was 3 years of 8-hour days in order to get Auxiliary sail also.

I was on active duty in the Coast Guard at the time, which may or may not have something to do with why they let me sit for 100 tons instead of 25 or 50. I thought the test was fairly easy after studying the books. And having taken Power Squadron as a teenager helped.

So if you have the time, go for the Inspected Vessel license, even if only for the minimum of 25 tons. You never know when you may get a spot on a Certificated vessel.

I'm not saying you should try to do it with just books, but it did work for me. Do I use my license? Yes, in sailing lessons I teach part-time (since the boats have outboard or inboard engine), and very occasionally as mate or second captain on dive boats (converted from crewboats, triple-screw, 99 gross tons, a lot of commercial boats are designed to fit just inside a particular tonnage license).

It's almost simpler to go for the biggest license you can qualify for, same cost, same medical quals, different test yes, but it's doable.

Of course this was 35 years ago. But I do the open-book exams every 5 years, and get the 7-page medical form done with all the circles and arrows and waivers for us, uh, mature applicants.

So if you do the course, sit for the biggest license you can. The course people will help you evaluate this, I would bet. And best of luck.
Thanks you, that is my plan. Our boat is 14 tons, so I guess that would mean I get the 25 ton version of the Master license for inspected vessels.

Regards,
Brad

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looking at this place for getting my captain's license in the spring The Nautical School - NY Maritime & Nautical Resources

Normally it's $699, including test fee if you pay in advance enough. (I believe the evening of 1st Aid/CPR is extra.) Planning to talk them into a group rate since we have a group of people in on this.

Who else is interested? If you don't have the hours, you can always get the testing out of the way.

They have classes in these locations:
Essex, CT
Bridgeport, CT
Stonington, CT
Manasquan, NJ
New Rochelle, NY
Manhattan, NY
Lindenhurst, NY​

So for the spring the plan is: captain's license (including 1st aid/CPR), towing endorsement (why not?), sailing endorsement, and perhaps even 100 ton master.

Regards,
Brad
About to pull the trigger and reserve a spot in the course. The above looks like the way to go, since you can split the course into 2 sessions if you want. Each day's lesson is modular, and it may be difficult to find 9 straight days to devote to this (counting the regular days spent at work).

The only drawback is that my son wants to take the course too. If I take it with him, then commuting to the class would be a lot easier, and it will be good bonding, but then I'll need to wait. And I'm tired of waiting for this!

There's an app for studying the light patterns. So far, I think I found one error in the app, so I must be learning something.

Regards,
Brad

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
BoatUS gave me a ~10% discount on my insurance policy. The ticket is necessary to teach sailing on an auxiliary equipped boat.
My impression is that is you have some class behind you -- like the Power Squadrons long course -- that you get and insurance discount. Not sure if you get more of a discount with a second course or even a longer course.

Progressive insurance, for instance, has a single check box IIRC on their online application.

Regards,
Brad

· Glad I found Sailnet
3,844 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I just registered for the course with the nautical school. The Nautical School - Nautical School Learning Aids

At $699, it seemed cheap enough. And the 9 days of class time was what I was looking for: 8-5:30 for two weekends in a row, and 6-10:30 weekdays between those weekends.

After studying the app that teaches the lights, I'm feeling pretty good.

Got my TWIC card this week! It seemed to possibly take a long time, so I ordered it in advance of taking the course.

Now I need to find a CPR and 1st Aid course. I don't want to wait for when the school has their class.

Got a insurance quote back. Amazingly, the price was about the same as my recreational insurance. I think I need to beef-up the liability a bit, since going commercial probably means more exposure to lawsuits.

Regards,
Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.