SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just recently acquired a wonderful Cal 28 Flush Deck. She needs (what a surprise, NOT) alot of work, but only the cosmetic kind. Well that, and all new electrical... I am just so grateful she isn't wood I can forgive her any number of flaws. I was raised on wood boats and I am OVER bright work... OVER IT do you hear me?

So our little hole in the water is in Oyster Cove Marina, and as soon as we have recovered from the initial investment we will be joining the Brisbane club. Ok, maybe waiting for THAT recovery is hopeless, given the nature of boats. But soon, really soon!

I seem to have fallen in charge of the sailing end of things while He tends to the refinishing and rewiring and replumbing and rewhateverelse is needed. I have been learning how to use the GPS that's been sitting around the house for a few years and I have downloaded Seaclear and the chart files and am, with little sucess so far, trying to figure how to make that system work with my lap top. I have discovered a number of threads here with information and advice, so I have a starting point.

I have generously shared with Himself my vision of what the boat should look like, when finished, and scored a stellar buy on a 110/12 volt fridge for dirt cheap, and when ever Himself is done with the cleanup I will be paneling and upholstering like mad. We are still discussing holding tanks and portapotties... that promises to be a long and enthusiastic conversation.

He is dying for a jib furler, but I think he should learn how to set the sail before he gets the cheat installed... that will prove to be an endless topic of conversation as well...

We start sailing classes next week. A refresher course for me cause that captains class in Panama was (ahem) something like 20 years ago... and a starter class for Him as He has thus far been perfecting His ballast technique.

I know Himself is lurking around the electrical boards as Cal28 or something like that.

I have been drawn back to this site by my searches over and over again because you all are such a knowledgeable and helpful bunch, so I decided joining was the way to go.

Glad to be here!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Hi,

Just recently acquired a wonderful Cal 28 Flush Deck. She needs (what a surprise, NOT) alot of work, but only the cosmetic kind. Well that, and all new electrical... I am just so grateful she isn't wood I can forgive her any number of flaws. I was raised on wood boats and I am OVER bright work... OVER IT do you hear me?

So our little hole in the water is in Oyster Cove Marina, and as soon as we have recovered from the initial investment we will be joining the Brisbane club. Ok, maybe waiting for THAT recovery is hopeless, given the nature of boats. But soon, really soon!

I seem to have fallen in charge of the sailing end of things while He tends to the refinishing and rewiring and replumbing and rewhateverelse is needed. I have been learning how to use the GPS that's been sitting around the house for a few years and I have downloaded Seaclear and the chart files and am, with little sucess so far, trying to figure how to make that system work with my lap top. I have discovered a number of threads here with information and advice, so I have a starting point.

I have generously shared with Himself my vision of what the boat should look like, when finished, and scored a stellar buy on a 110/12 volt fridge for dirt cheap, and when ever Himself is done with the cleanup I will be paneling and upholstering like mad. We are still discussing holding tanks and portapotties... that promises to be a long and enthusiastic conversation.

He is dying for a jib furler, but I think he should learn how to set the sail before he gets the cheat installed... that will prove to be an endless topic of conversation as well...

We start sailing classes next week. A refresher course for me cause that captains class in Panama was (ahem) something like 20 years ago... and a starter class for Him as He has thus far been perfecting His ballast technique.

I know Himself is lurking around the electrical boards as Cal28 or something like that.

I have been drawn back to this site by my searches over and over again because you all are such a knowledgeable and helpful bunch, so I decided joining was the way to go.

Glad to be here!
Delightful post. :)

I would give in to him on the furler. But I would make sure you both understand how it works and how to work it. You'll be glad you have it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome advice

*waving hi again to i2f*

What one board doesn't cover the other does, and between the two there seems to be everything under the sun!

Knothead, really, I am not as heartless as I sound, and I agree, a furler looks like a good investment to me. I just have some concern about Himself knowing how to handle the sail on that day when the furler DOESN"T work... maybe I'm old-fashioned, but it seems like it would be good to just learn the boring manual way first... I'll have to consider this some more!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts