SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I haven't posted here in about 6 years and my Etap 26 has been on the hard for 10 years now. First it was bad luck, a serious problem with the hull and keel, prostate cancer, hired a guy to put the boat back together and his wife gets killed in a head-on collision. Paint remover for fiberglass destroys the gel coat on the coach roof. We break the keel putting it back on right before hurricane Sandy lays waste to the marina. My job takes me all over the country and every time I mention boat my wife goes ballistic telling me how much I've spent and totally beating the joy out of it.

Finally brought the boat home to my daughters back yard 3 years ago but working on it seems hopeless. However my 16 year old grandson has given me a new sense of sailing purpose. We have even been out my sailing dinghy as his home is on a lake. Maybe this is the year we get the boat back in the water. Still fighting bad luck. I peeled the gelcoat off the bottom and started coating the bottom with watertite epoxy and after sitting 4 years it is all blistered to hell! So we are doing it again. Does unopened bottom coatings go bad because I have about 7 gallons of expensive stuff that has been sitting for years? Soon will find out.

So I guess I'll start posting again to see if I can get into sailing again.

Gary H. Lucas

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Hello all,
I haven't posted here in about 6 years and my Etap 26 has been on the hard for 10 years now. First it was bad luck, a serious problem with the hull and keel, prostate cancer, hired a guy to put the boat back together and his wife gets killed in a head-on collision. Paint remover for fiberglass destroys the gel coat on the coach roof. We break the keel putting it back on right before hurricane Sandy lays waste to the marina. My job takes me all over the country and every time I mention boat my wife goes ballistic telling me how much I've spent and totally beating the joy out of it.

Finally brought the boat home to my daughters back yard 3 years ago but working on it seems hopeless. However my 16 year old grandson has given me a new sense of sailing purpose. We have even been out my sailing dinghy as his home is on a lake. Maybe this is the year we get the boat back in the water. Still fighting bad luck. I peeled the gelcoat off the bottom and started coating the bottom with watertite epoxy and after sitting 4 years it is all blistered to hell! So we are doing it again. Does unopened bottom coatings go bad because I have about 7 gallons of expensive stuff that has been sitting for years? Soon will find out.

So I guess I'll start posting again to see if I can get into sailing again.

Gary H. Lucas
Hi Gary, welcome back! Funny coincidence, I stumbled across one of your old messages a couple days ago and, realizing how long it has been, became concerned about you. I appreciate how you came to our Sailnet preseason get-together at my boat club 9(!) years ago.

Whether it's your dinghy on the lake or your endless restoration on your Etap 26, it's all good, and I hope you stick around here and fill us in on how it's going.

Reactions: JoCoSailor

·
Barquito
3,480 Posts
Welcome back! I hope things start going better with the boat. My read on aged epoxy is that is is likely to be fine. If anything, maybe the hardener will be an issue. I would, at least, test it somewhere. There is probably someone with more experience than I.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Part of the issue has been other interests. Five years ago my grandson expressed an interest in building a robot. I said you need the right tools for that and instead we built a CNC Mill, Lathe, 3D printer machine. One day he came home all excited about a product we could make, Fidgit Spinners, right when they were taking off. He wrote a program to cut them from cutting boards he got at Walmart sourced bearings on Ebay and started selling them to his friends. But he decided he didn't actually have enough friends, so he hired a popular kid as his sales manager on commission. Things took off and then he got busted for what the idiot principal called 'Profiteering', probably because he couldn't spell Entrepreneur and gave him 2 days detention. He did make over $300 anyway.

Then he got interested in metal casting. My high school mechanical drafting teacher passed away after being good friends with me for 30 years and his wife gave my grandson a complete foundry setup. We've been casting aluminum using the lost foam process.

He joined the FIRST Robotics team in school, and I joined as a mentor. The mentor who had been machining parts for the team, and another mentor for the design team both left at the same time. So for the past two seasons I did all the parts machining for them. I also got them a donation of about $7,000 worth of used aluminum extrusions and we are building a big CNC Router for the team, using a bunch of casting I made. I also got them a donation of pallet racks, a large rolling workstation, and another mentor and I lead the renovation of the big closet so we could have 5 rolling workstations and the CNC Router in there.

Oh, and back in October I got fired from my job as chief engineer for a small waste water treatment plant manufacturer after 6 years. Tons of hours and travel and the company slacker texted part of a conversation making me look bad, and the owner took his side instead of finding out the whole truth. I made the mistake of going ballistic on the boss not the slacker. Or maybe not. Found a new job that is 15 minutes from where I keep the boat. I was working sixty hour weeks and traveling every week for the past 16 years, and often working weekends and holidays. Now I work 37.5 hours a week, no travel, no night calls and while my pay dropped a little my expenses dropped a lot. Since I designed every product my former employer makes I also get royalties on EVERYTHING they sell for two more years, so I wish them tons of good luck!

Maybe its time to go sailing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts