SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow, that really sucks.
I wonder if a couple hundred feet of the appropriate size Dyneema would be useful to have around for something like that. I've been working with the stuff a bit lately and it seems like backing-up the compromised stay/shroud with something like that would give a person the confidence to go on till a better choice of ports presents itself.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Some similar size wire with a pre swaged terminal and LOTS of bulldog clips will allow him to double the stay.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for him.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Some similar size wire with a pre swaged terminal and LOTS of bulldog clips will allow him to double the stay.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for him.
Or, as mentioned in the existing thread on Wakefield, the use of mechanical fittings instead of swages, or at least carrying an assortment of spares, gives a sailor far better options to craft a repair or replacement at sea...

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/1249554-post35.html

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
good ole galvanised wire....clips and eyes and you can double, triple up anything you want...some old blocks and pulleys work great to tighten them up kind of like adding running backstays etc in an old school way

Im currently saving all my old rigging while I change my rig 2 stays at a time..Ill also be adding an inner forestay for the little storm sail that came with the boat...

I wish him luck! sometimes you cant foresee everything but Im sure hell get the job done if he persists!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts