SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all quick question...As I race towards the finish line of our boats construction i am torn between whether or not to glue the interior framing or just use the stainless screws I've been using. Glue is permanent and if there is water damage or something down the road or a change in heart over where something should be then it would be nice to just zip out a few screws. On the flip side will not gluing leave places for moisture to be trapped? The glue is question is Gorilla Glue and that stuff is permanent. Any input? This might be a preference thing?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I guess a good question would be to define framing? are you reffering to cabinets, doors and the like or are yo reffering to floors, stringers, bases etc?

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Without glue it is likely that your interior will move and hence creak at sea even at anchor if there is the slightest boat movement.

Not conducive to sleep.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
it will creak like crazy!

wooden boats(mine) had cabinetry this way...it is normal though for some creep but the question still remains, some things HAVE to be fastened and glued no matter what

Reactions: mbowser

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creaking. This is why I come on here! To define framing I am talking about the structures that frame out berths, cabinetry and the like. Our stringers and anything else structural have enough epoxy and fiberglass tabbing them to make anyone blush. But wood does creak and I admit that I had not considered that. Glue it is, and a commitment to all the new structures that we are putting together cause gorilla glue is aptly named and a nightmare to uncouple. In the same vein I guess this also answers my question on whether to apply a little silicone atop the stringers before laying the sole down for the last time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts