SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has had any special God experiences while out sailing.

:cut_out_animated_em::cut_out_animated_em:2 boat::2 boat::2 boat::captain::captain::captain::captain::captain::captain::captain::boat :

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Careful with invoking the Lord's name in vain, Mike or he will strike down your azz with great vengeance and furious anger for an attempt to poison and destroy your brothers. And you will know his name is the Lord when he lays his vengeance upon thee...

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
Careful with invoking the Lord's name in vain, Mike or he will strike down your azz with great vengeance and furious anger for an attempt to poison and destroy your brothers. And you will know his name is the Lord when he lays his vengeance upon thee...
Oh, you’re talking the Old Testament god. He’s certainly a [email protected] There’s a whole lot of smotin' going on there in the old books. Personally, I kinda like the other guy/god; the one in the New Testament. Certainly seems a lot more mature, or perhaps he’s just more chill by then — maybe He went off cruising and discovered weed ;):
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/312826-cannabis-use-board.html

The Old Gods have a generally more refined sense of humour. Not to mention, a quarter million years of prior experience over the new self-styled ones.
Yup. Much more interesting and fun those gods of old are/were.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Mike, there's an interesting concept that I think is unique only to the Hindu religion. It is said that the concept of "god" is so vast and complex, that the human mind can never hope to grasp or comprehend it. And therefore, there are some 300,000 different facets of one god, each of which is worshiped as a separate god, because there's no way a human could comprehend all of it as one diety. One god with 300,000 names, or 300,000 separate gods...kinda hard to count that high either way, isn't it?

Hinduism is estimated at 3000-12000 years old, making it one of the older ways that is still being followed. Presumably somewhat differently from how it started.

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
If you’re trying to get at the wonder, beauty, joy and mystery of the universe as seen from the deck of my little ship… well sure, I see it everywhere I go. No need for any mythical deity to know the world is a wonderful place.

Last season I did an overnight passage along the north shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, from Sept-Iles to Mingan. It was one of those perfect nights, with steady 15-20 knot winds on a broad reach, easy seas and clear skies. No moon so full blaze of stars. Just glorious.

To top it all off, an Aurora rolled in over the north sky. Sheets of silver and green for hours. Truly amazing.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Mike: Be sure that you are not giving credit to a creator where it should properly be attributed to man causing climate change.

There is a God, and you are not him. (this is not directed at Mike, but to the general accepted thought that man is in control of the world) Do you believe Jurassic Park or the Bible?

I have never had a problem with acknowledging a creator while observing nature while growing up on a farm, during the time I spent backpacking in the Rocky Mountains, or almost any time I m away from the rot of modern civilization. The only time I question the existence of a wise creator is when I am in the midst of large groups of my fellow man.......

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Oh, you’re talking the Old Testament god. He’s certainly a [email protected] There’s a whole lot of smotin' going on there in the old books. Personally, I kinda like the other guy/god; the one in the New Testament. Certainly seems a lot more mature, or perhaps he’s just more chill by then — maybe He went off cruising and discovered weed ;):
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/312826-cannabis-use-board.html

Yup. Much more interesting and fun those gods of old are/were.
He simply proved his point in the Hebrew times that man could not keep a contract to live by perfect law and needed some attention. He did away with that contract after he proved his point and went on to the next stage of carrying out his purpose to get everything back in order which is to show that man left on his own without guidance is going to mess things up and I believe that we have done a pretty good job of messing up. The next step may be a Real Doozy!

No Atheists in a Fox Hole or Storm at Sea. Had one very vocal Atheist when the hoist over his head failed and the load got hung up on something instead of coming crashing down on him declare: "Thank You God in Heaven!"

Closest I came was a "Thank God" from some Coast Guard men in the Buoy Tender that was getting swamped and had to trail in the wake of my old wooden Sea Star to get safely back to port. Everyone in their boat was bailing with buckets including the helmsman until he pulled up behind me.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
On the other hand there are few experiences that are so transcendental as going to sea. Thoreau missed out limiting himself to Walden Pond.
It’s been said “A man who has gone to sea is ruined for a life on land”.

At least that’s my excuse.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Sparks has a nice little ditty about God and asking for help. It's reminder not to call for help from God or I would also say other authorities unless you really need it.
https://youtu.be/oC0rzv1j8Zc

Historically, historically, we make an appeal
To something greater than we are when we need to heal
But don’t concern him with your little band-aid affair
His temper will flare
He’ll rise from his chair
What the hell is it this time?

·
formerly: flyingwelshman
50 Posts
Old SF story about the purpose of man. To name all the names of God. Tibetan monks set out to do the task with modern computer assist. The stars go out.We all vanish.
The Nine Billion Names of God by Arthur C. Clarke. Great story.

Coincidentally, the population of Earth is approaching nine billion. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
So as the youth of America threaten the status quo by rising up against the god given right to arm to madness an elected leader advises CPR lessons to alleviate the damage. Like learning how to bail better instead of checking the thruhulls. I propose a system where only one belief /god/ leader is aloud by each individual. Sorry, that one is taken ,pick another . or else

1 - 20 of 506 Posts