SailNet Community banner

461 - 480 of 506 Posts

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Incivility isn’t new in American politics. Look no further than Jackson nor is violence as there’s been cane beatings and fisticuffs on the house floor nor racism/anti Semitism such as McCarthy. No our system has been ugly, violent with marked extremes. Nor has an unbiased press been the norm even from our inception with newspapers always having been present that were the mouthpieces of a particular party. What’s new is the increasing efficiency of public manipulation and a shift in attitude where pseudoscience and pseudo news are accepted as fact in the absence of critical thinking. Climate change deniers, creationism, and flat worlders being current examples.
Agreed on both counts (see, we do agree … sometimes ;)). There is no lack of examples of uncivil behaviour from both sides (again, why are there only two sides :confused:).

Amusingly, or perhaps disturbingly, I’m just covering these issues of fake news and the decline of critical thinking in civic discourse in my book. It was written in 1983. Makes me wonder how much further we can fall...:(

·
2,437 Posts
Amusingly, or perhaps disturbingly, I’m just covering these issues of fake news and the decline of critical thinking in civic discourse in my book. It was written in 1983. Makes me wonder how much further we can fall...:(
A frightening thought indeed.

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
Registered
919 Posts
McCarthy was right, it was proven when the Soviet Union fell and the archives were made public. But then you guys aren't interested in facts, just your own propaganda. The problem with President Obama's birth certificate is in the father's name. His real father is Frank Marshall Davis but since his grandfather was supposed to be tailing FMD they could not put his name on the birth certificate. Google Frank Marshall Davis and tell me that he appears to be a twin to Obama and
Barack Obama senior looks like somebody who was just passing by when he was born.

I'm sorry for posting this because you guys are just too far gone for reality........

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
I'm sorry for posting this because you guys are just too far gone for reality........
Somehow this statement does not ring true. If you were sorry, then why did you do it, or at least not use the delete button? There is a delete button, you know.

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
RMB you have crossed the line and have exposed how unamerican your thinking is. Are you aware in this country you are innocent until proven guilty. Are you aware of the concept of due process. You have any concept of how many INNOCENT lives McCarthy ruined by not adhering to these basic principles.
You should read the history of that era. You have exposed yourself as either being ignorant or wanting to turn this beautiful country into a fascist police state not following the constitution or rule of law.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
As regards Davis it is true he is mentioned several times in Obama’s book. References are in view of Obama’s understanding of himself as a black man. Obama met with Davis 10-15 times in his youth. He’s was no mentor nor continuing influence. Davis himself was no major communist. By his own statements and writings he was interested in black liberation not overthrowing the government and was dropped by Hoover’s FBI as being of no interest. Obama may or may not of had communist influence but if so was notably ineffective as such. This is yet again a nonsensical right wing conspiracy theory with no substance. Adhering to such theories undercuts the merits of the conservative argument which is most unfortunate.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
RMB you should understand I vote for individuals not parties. I voted libertarian last time around. Saying I’m a brainwashed liberal or progressive couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then you seem to have no desire to accept basic facts which would allow you to approach the truth.

·
bell ringer
4,765 Posts
Why do trolls keep coming back? Because people feed them!

I'm not calling anyone a troll because for the most part I don't even read the long rant posts that I associate with trolling. But some people appear to have a need to feed the trolls.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think i'll become a Hindu and move to Canada (at least for the summer) What's the immigration policy toward the lower 48 ? You notice that I didn't say Americans, that would probably be insulting to a lot of people in this hemisphere who aren't happy about the way that U.S.A. monopolizes words along with everything else that it can get it's hands on. Thank God for sailing. ( spoken by an atheist.... I think .... I'm really not sure .... I don't know what I am, I just know that I'm not a Democrat or a Republican )God must have created politics for personal amusement. Watching freaky monkeys is always amusing. When will humans realize that all we are is freaky monkeys? 99% DNA match with chimpanzees. I wonder if chimps ponder God ? Wonder if we really are at the top of the food chain. How's that for drifting on a thread ?

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,316 Posts
I think i'll become a Hindu and move to Canada (at least for the summer) What's the immigration policy toward the lower 48 ?
I was told by Capt Len the islands off of BC are filled conscientious objectors from the Vietnam War that moved there and just stayed. I believe U.S. immigrants are currently taxed at the 10% rate.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My comment was a bit facetious although I really do intend to visit Nova Scotia next summer. My Daughter and her S.O. are planning on renting a cottage on the coast for the summer and wanted me to visit while they were there. Hope I can find a place to rent a boat there. The place is an hour or so out of Halifax.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
McCarthy was right, it was proven when the Soviet Union fell and the archives were made public. But then you guys aren't interested in facts, just your own propaganda. The problem with President Obama's birth certificate is in the father's name. His real father is Frank Marshall Davis but since his grandfather was supposed to be tailing FMD they could not put his name on the birth certificate. Google Frank Marshall Davis and tell me that he appears to be a twin to Obama and
Barack Obama senior looks like somebody who was just passing by when he was born.

What was McCarthy proven right about, when the USSR fell and the archives were made public? His claim the Truman State Department was harboring '205 known communists'? His claim the Truman State Department was harboring '57 known communists'? Or his claim the Truman State Department was harboring '81 known communists'? :confused:

Maybe it was his claim that General George C. Marshall was part of "a conspiracy so immense and an infamy so black as to dwarf any previous venture in the history of man"? Please list exactly what McCarthy was right about, and post copies of the relevant Soviet archives. ;)

There's no indication that Frank Marshall Davis is Obama's father, aside from a superficial physical resemblance based mostly on the fact that they're both black. Claiming they look like twins is completely bizarre; you can walk down any street in a black neighborhood and find two men who look more alike than those two do.

Barack Obama Sr. was hardly 'just passing by.' He and President Obama's mother were married for three years, and were a couple for a year before that.

You're regurgitating lunatic-fringe conspiracy theories without a shred of proof to back them up, and claiming we're too far gone for reality? You have issues, son. :p::D::p::devil

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
"No sense of decency"

A phrase which rings as true today as it did back in June of 1954.
You referencing Joe Welch's statement, and me recognizing it, probably dates both of us...:)
Joseph Nye Welch (October 22, 1890 – October 6, 1960) was an American lawyer who served as the chief counsel for the United States Army while it was under investigation for Communist activities by Senator Joseph McCarthy's Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, an investigation known as the Army–McCarthy hearings. His confrontation with McCarthy during the hearings, in which he famously asked McCarthy "At long last, have you left no sense of decency?" is seen as a turning point in the history of McCarthyism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_N._Welch

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
I was told by Capt Len the islands off of BC are filled conscientious objectors from the Vietnam War that moved there and just stayed. I believe U.S. immigrants are currently taxed at the 10% rate.

Yes, and not just on the coast. Nelson, for example, is almost famous for the number of US draft dodgers who fled and became Canadian citizens.

Canada has often been the land of refuge for people in America. From the Loyalists to the Underground Railway, the Vietnam draft dodgers to today where there are now a flood of people crossing our southern border fleeing persecution, Canada has often been a place folks in the USA flee to in times of crisis.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Speaking of god, this summer reminds me of a great Abomination before the Lord: seedless watermelons. It is certainly blasphemy and it should be illegal to produce such things.

461 - 480 of 506 Posts