SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is the boat. Built in southern ontario by huromic metals. Do you have any 1st hand experience with the boat? I'm looking to contact with owners of the vessel to ask certain questions. Also this one has a murray diesel engine. Any ideas or comments on this engine?

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Many were sold as hulls with do it yourself finish by the owners. I know nothing about Murray engines. It is a Brewer design and sails very well for a relatively small steel boat. Being a steel boat, rust is the problem as most did not have state of the art coatings. Beware of the foamed interiors as it hides the rust which usually starts on the inside of the hull. Also rusts badly under the teak cap rail. A good friend of mine had one and at one time I contemplated having one built. I probably still have the plans somewhere.

·
Goderich 36
2 Posts
Yes. I own one. The boat sails very solidly. It is definitely a world cruiser. The interior is classic and very teak. Mine was built by Huromic Metals in 1979. I completely sandblasted and repainted the exterior hull in winter 2008. This past winter I have had the entire deck professionally sandblasted and refinished. There were no major corrosion issues except for under the dorade boxes. Not difficult to fix but an important thing to address nonetheless. The key with steel boats is to stay relatively ahead of the aging issues. So, in short, major "structural" work the past two winters but that is it really. Not bad for 30 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts