Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other Solo Assist Method

Votes: 9 40.9%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you regularly go aloft Solo, what's your preferred method? Why? And what's the total cost of the gear in your setup?

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
I do/can since I got a "Mastmate". It's a canvas ladder that goes up the mainsail track. Run it up, tie if off and then climb the steps using the safety waist strap/tool bag that comes with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have Mast Mate (I think that's the name) mast steps that run up the sail track. I climb slowly and always work with just one hand. I like it much better than a bo'sun's chair.

I also plan to fall into the drink, and not onto the deck.

with a ketch, the main mast is only 35 feet off the house, so what's the worst that could happen?

I would do the same if I had someone to help me, after all, what are they going to do - catch me?

Best Regards,

e

.::.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
I use mastmate. To be safe, I wear a kind of a harness -climbers webbing around behind my back and around shoulders/under arms - then clip around the mast. I have two of these running the same way, so even when I go around spreaders, I have at least one clipped at all times.
This also lets me use both hands when I am standing on a ladder, even at the top of the mast - and even reach spreader ends if needed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use the gear that I use for going up and down pits while caving. It is called a Frog System. I attach a static caving rope to a spare halyard (ore better, two of them) and hoist it to the top of the mast. I then can quickly climb to the top, work secured to the rope, and switch over and rappel down. Of course, I have been doing vertical caving work for 30 years so I am very comfortable doing this.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If you are going solo, why do you need climbing gear? One would think that would be for going so high!

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you are going solo, why do you need climbing gear? One would think that would be for going so high!
Well a lot of the newer designs for going aloft on sailboats actually came from mountain climbing gear. Also in my opinion once your above 40 ft or so it doesn't matter if you fall from there or from 300ft - its still going to hurt you very bad or kill you especially on a larger sailboat with a much taller mast so why take the chance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have been up the mast 4-5 times in the last year, with another planned ascent in the works. I go solo, using mountain climbing gear similar tot he ATN Topclimber. I wear a climbing harness and have that connected to a Gibbs ascender. I also have two loops of slightly different lengths of webbing attached to a separate ascender, below the first one. I use this set up to climb my main halyard, while using a third ascender attached to me with nylon webbing on the headsail halyard. This is my safety line. I also have a sling that runs around the mast to hold me in and to stop a rapid fall from above the spreaders. Although I am alone when doing this, my wife knows to call and check on me once in a while. I also have my cell phone with me ready to call 911 if I can still dial after falling. Lastly, I leave all my tools on the deck in a cloth carryall attached to a line that is also attached to my harness. Once I get aloft, I bring up the tools and parts. Before decending I send them back down.
I'm not too sure of the cost of my equipment since I got the ascenders for free. Probably several hundred dollars.

Be safe up there, Bill

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I spent many years deep into serious mountain climbing....

Well a lot of the newer designs for going aloft on sailboats actually came from mountain climbing gear. Also in my opinion once your above 40 ft or so it doesn't matter if you fall from there or from 300ft - its still going to hurt you very bad or kill you especially on a larger sailboat with a much taller mast so why take the chance.
And people die falling 20-30 feet all of the time. And the mountains don't rock when a skier comes by.

I like the mast mate fine, and I have no remaining fear of heights, but I ALWAYS wear a seat harness, take a few slings and biners with me so that I can tie-off at the masthead to work with 2 hands (or rest if tired), and always back-up with a second halyard (I use one of several rope grabs or a gri-gri).

Please don't let us know you climb without tie-offs or safeties. It doesn't make you brave.

And by the way, I climbed some rather severe crags un-roped as part of the game. Part of the challenge. But never a mast. No point.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I use climbing gear - petzl ascenders (one hand, one foot) and an 8-ring for a descender. I try to get 2 lines if possible, but currently only have one and the transition from climbing mode to descending mode is difficult. It would be so nice to have (a) another person and (b) an electric winch.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
It would be so nice to have (a) another person and (b) an electric winch.
Bingo. That's what I do. I save up my mast projects and go up a couple of times a year. So far I've always been able to find someone trustworthy to punch the electric winch button and tail the safety halyard.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
I usually wait for someone to help me. But I'd do the ascenders with stir-ups for my feet if I were to go solo.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I thought so too!

It was a joke numbskull!

Actually I use klemheist knots and webbing. Dirt Cheap!
It was actually eolon's coments that I was reacting to.

Ofcourse, the only reason to use a klemheist knot is poor credit:p . Join the 20 century at least, man!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ofcourse, the only reason to use a klemheist knot is poor credit:p . Join the 20 century at least, man!
All you young whipper snappers using all that new-fangled stuff ought to learn how it used to be done. You never know when that may be all you have! :laugher

Damn it, I'm turning into an old geezer! :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts