SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, call me a wuss... I just bought a used Sol Cat 18 catamaran, and that thing has a huge 28 foot mast which is very heavy, which makes me nervous for two reasons:
1. It will be a PITA to raise it for one person so I have to come up with some rig to help me raise mast and it will likely still be a hair raising experience.
2. Stability on water - since I do most my sailing solo, if I tip that cat, I will not be able to right it by myself (maybe with a water bag, but I have never done it). I have sailed dinghies and smaller sailboats all my life but this is my first catamaran so I'm a bit nervous.

The cat did not come with the sails. In a way, that is good because I can explore options like using a smaller (25 feet) and lighter mast from my Mirage, which will allow me to also use the main from that boat (the jib would be too big as the forestay is split at the bottom).

I have no great problem raising my 25 foot mast as it is a lot lighter than the 28 foot mast (smaller diameter). I do not mind the cat being slower due to reduced sail area.

What kind of problems I might be running into?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
for new cat sailors, like hobies use put on a float on the top of the mast...like you I hated righting hobies after a huge smackdown but the solution to stop a complete 180 is that...or always have crew...

there is a big technique to right small cats like this and its muscle, wieght and patience basically but solo I dont have the heft to right even a hobie 16 if the mast goes under...if Im fast I could sometimes but if its over 20 knots forget about it

I weigh 170lbs...

but since you are using a 3 foot shorter mast all I would be worried about are the connections and angles of the rigging...any issues attaching smaller mast?

3 feet wont be noticeable in high winds...in light you might suffer

btw...even with your 25 foot mast if it goes under(the sail) starts sinking under and you are over 90 degrees rolled the 3 feet less wont make squat worth a difference...the wieght of water ladden sails and water in the mast will be too much even for the heftiest of solo cat sailors...

now Im not familiar with your cat...I am with all sorts of hobies...

anywhoo

Reactions: krisscross
1 - 2 of 2 Posts