SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, planning on heading over to Catalina for a few days....I have a fairly experienced crew, and a guy who has decades of sailing experience going with me....Have been planning a trip to Catalina...26 miles and at some point its forecast for 20 mph winds and 6 ft waves with a 7 second interval. I have a 125 heavy jib on the boat that I can reef as well. I plan on putting a reef in the main. Any thoughts or ideas on what else to do for prep?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Check the wind direction. Avalon harbor can be dangerous during Santa Anas. Tuesday and Wednesdays winds are projected to be strong from the northwest. You should have a hard beat to weather for most of the trip. When are you going?

Let us know how it goes.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Amputation with a dull spoon is possible, it is just time consuming and messy. Are you really in that big a hurry?

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
It will be a wet bouncy ride, I was out for a day sail last weekend with 25 kts steady with gusts to 40 kts, reefed main and 110 jib and I was way over canvassed. I could of used a second reef and a storm jib and still would of been a workout.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We were planning to sail to Oxnard/Channel Islands Harbor from San Pedro on a much heavier and more capable Tayana 42. Decided to wait until Wednesday. No point in going looking for a gale, less strain on rigging and crew. When you do go have a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Sorry if I blow your cover but I'm pretty sure I saw you out a week or so ago. It was blowing a steady 18 kts and you were doing just fine that I could see, sailing up the harbor.

I'm sure heading to Catalina won't be a problem for you. Though you might want to throw a reef in this time. :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry if I blow your cover but I'm pretty sure I saw you out a week or so ago. It was blowing a steady 18 kts and you were doing just fine that I could see, sailing up the harbor.

I'm sure heading to Catalina won't be a problem for you. Though you might want to throw a reef in this time. :D
HAHA…well I am out at least twice a week when I can, now that the sun sets later, maybe 3 or 4 times a week. Yes, it was blowing and you probably saw me with the 155 up. The Santana 30 doesn't need a stinking reef!!! lol…next time you see me introduce yourself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts