SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, planning on heading over to Catalina for a few days....I have a fairly experienced crew, and a guy who has decades of sailing experience going with me....Have been planning a trip to Catalina...26 miles and at some point its forecast for 20 mph winds and 6 ft waves with a 7 second interval. I have a 125 heavy jib on the boat that I can reef as well. I plan on putting a reef in the main. Any thoughts or ideas on what else to do for prep?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Reaction score
Check the wind direction. Avalon harbor can be dangerous during Santa Anas. Tuesday and Wednesdays winds are projected to be strong from the northwest. You should have a hard beat to weather for most of the trip. When are you going?

Let us know how it goes.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Reaction score
Amputation with a dull spoon is possible, it is just time consuming and messy. Are you really in that big a hurry?

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Reaction score
It will be a wet bouncy ride, I was out for a day sail last weekend with 25 kts steady with gusts to 40 kts, reefed main and 110 jib and I was way over canvassed. I could of used a second reef and a storm jib and still would of been a workout.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reaction score
We were planning to sail to Oxnard/Channel Islands Harbor from San Pedro on a much heavier and more capable Tayana 42. Decided to wait until Wednesday. No point in going looking for a gale, less strain on rigging and crew. When you do go have a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Reaction score
Sorry if I blow your cover but I'm pretty sure I saw you out a week or so ago. It was blowing a steady 18 kts and you were doing just fine that I could see, sailing up the harbor.

I'm sure heading to Catalina won't be a problem for you. Though you might want to throw a reef in this time. :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry if I blow your cover but I'm pretty sure I saw you out a week or so ago. It was blowing a steady 18 kts and you were doing just fine that I could see, sailing up the harbor.

I'm sure heading to Catalina won't be a problem for you. Though you might want to throw a reef in this time. :D
HAHA…well I am out at least twice a week when I can, now that the sun sets later, maybe 3 or 4 times a week. Yes, it was blowing and you probably saw me with the 155 up. The Santana 30 doesn't need a stinking reef!!! lol…next time you see me introduce yourself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.