SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of studying and dreaming, months of planning and shopping, I set sail saturday. Plan to go from Lauderdale to LI, a thousand miles or so. Recruited a crew on this forum. Anxious to sail, I fly on thursday. Expect to be back by the end of the month, I'll report on the trip then.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable journey. Look forward to your account.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Watch out for the Sea Bats, they can be vicious at this time of year....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have a good safe trip! If I remember correctly, you are taking the boat to Mt. Sinai harbor or Port Jeff harbor right?

·
Ex Member
125 Posts
cotton sucks, bring a bottle of gold bond to keep your undercarriage dry and a thing of baby wipes for washing up (do NOT put these down the head)

·
Registered
404 Posts
NK, yes, he is headed to Mt. Sinai harbor.
Safe passage WanderingStar.
Well with that in mind I'll be keeping an eye out for you. I have my boat "Capricorn" on a mooring near Ralph's Fishing Station. Again have a safe and enjoyable trip!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Fair winds...have fun... report back with pix if you can. :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
I disagree that "Cotton Sucks." On nice days, cotton is the best, when the weather turns bad, you should have some foulweather gear anyway! As much as I have bike toured, kayaked, backpacked, sailed, and traveled. I have found that my favorite "performance" clothing, is the same clothing I wear every day. COTTON!

It breathes, it's soft, it's comfortable. It doesn't stink like synthetics, and it's available in the styles I like. Synthetics may dry faster, but they are uncomfortable, make you have terrible BO, and look bad to boot.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Have fun. And remember there are only 5 rules you have to follow:

1. Keep the water on the outside.
2. Keep the people on the inside.
3. Keep the stick pointed up.
4. Keep the keel pointed down.
5. Every so often make sure the bow is pointed in the direction you want to go.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stories? of hours and days of preparation, months of planning? Of making 186 miles in her first 24, six knots through the water even reefed in a six foot sea? of warblers resting aboard, petrels circling, dolphins leaping? the disappointment of being driven back in by impending weather? the joy of navigating the wild rivers and marshes in the ICW? anchoring in lonely places and taking off your soaking clothes for a good dinner with a merry crew? of going back to sea and standing those late night watches, learning to let the boat have her way in the sea? the stress of more bad weather, of grounding in NJ and further delays? of the joy of entering NYC at dawn? but warily dodging freighters? the one great day sailing past Hatteras in fine conditions?
Some stories, I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts