SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When singlehanding what would be the best way to go up the mast. Wheather for a repair or to check out rigging for a problem. Last summer my roller furled got fouled up top and I did not have system worked for what situation
Bill S

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have seen a few systems that may work for you. 1. Install mast steps on the mast itself. Pros: always there for your use and not dependant on any halyards or the track for the main. Cons: You need to drill a bunch of holes in your mast and they disrupt air flow to the sails. 2. One of those mast ladders that feeds into the mainsail track. Pros: Up only when you need it, low cost, no permanant damage to the mast. Cons: If you can''t get the main down, you can''t use the product. 3. The top-climber. I spoke with a friend who uses a very similar device for rock climbing and he feels that this device is very safe for a single-handed solo to the top of the mast. Cons: You may bang against the mast as you climb.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know anyone how has used one. It looks to be a good opion because you could use while the sail are up and easy to rig for use.
Bill S

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don''t know of any sailors that have used them, however, the exact same mechanism is used by my climber-friend and he claims that it is very safe and convenient to both ascend and descend with.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I took a hard long look at it at the Atlantic City Boat show... very impressive and well thought out.
I simply use mountain climbing ascenders.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i''ve got an atn topclimber used it couple of times at dock it works ok. yet to try under sail. climbing harness instead of sitting board could make a better product.
joe.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many of you guys have been up a mast underway???Different situations require different approaches. A guy can just walk right up the sailtrack on most boats, especially if she''s heeling. I''ve climbed the rigging on most boats just by grabbing hold of the high side rigging. For quick ones I''ll just grab something and spring up--anything''ll do really; but for serious time up shinney up with a line, to the spreaders. Hoist up yer bosun''s chair with your gear in it and tie it off where you need it, then climb in. Or climb up then hoist your halyard till your chair reaches you,..stand on the spreaders <<keeping your feet alongside the mast ONLY >>, climb into bosuns chair. But I''d like to say that, when it comes to general good seamanship and modern innovation....mast mounted styrups take my vote hands down!! All round ease of access to all levels of the stick--instantly. Ever held onto only one line while aloft?? Those mountain gizmos won''t hack it....For most work underway , as ugly as they are, a guy can get a REAL good hold and hook his legs around these things and, let''s face it, security aloft just makes it quicker to fix stuff so we can get back to sailing.....Rev......maritimetradition.com

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi, Bought a topclimber in Miami last year and used it many times. For me it has been the perfect answer to going up the mast un-assisted. I don''t know how a harness would be,but I find the seat to be very comfortable & secure. I''me 63 YO,and my only problem with it has been some sore ,unused muscles the next day
Marc

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I interstand the choice of line you use with the mast climer is very important.I would think you would want a low strech line with a soft cover. What type of line did you choose to use?
Bill S

·
Registered
355 Posts
The line is a 7/16 static line,not a halyard. It must be pulled as tight as possible,otherwise it will be difficult to climb. This spring,I intend to intsall a designated line just for climbing,& it can be used as a spare halyard if need be.The nice thing about a designated line is you don''t have to remove any sails to use it. Some systems you must remove the mainsail to use the track. Very hard if you have a full batten main
Marc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts