SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has sailed a Golden Gate 30 or it's sisters (Bodega 30, Bay Island 30, or Farallon 29)? What were your impressions?

Interesting design, I ran across them the other day and was curious about them.

Thanks!

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
If memory serves those are all Chuck Burns designs. Chuck worked for Gary Mull before going on his own. Chuck is a very good designer. Why don't you give him a call and ask him about the boats. He's in the SF area I think.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bob.

I was a little nervous about calling him, but I eventually did and he was very nice. He had good things to say about the build quality that Odyssey used, so that's good.

If all goes well, we will be transitioning from an Alberg design to the GG30, so i was a little curious how their sailing characteristics compare. There isn't a lot of information on them, though, so I guess I'll have to find out for myself at sea trial :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I like them, saw a bunch in san fran bay...they are quite native to this area only...not much info on them...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has sailed a Golden Gate 30 or it's sisters (Bodega 30, Bay Island 30, or Farallon 29)? What were your impressions?

Interesting design, I ran across them the other day and was curious about them.

Thanks!
You might want to try to contact the sailing writer Ray Jason, I'm pretty sure his AVENTURA is a Golden Gate 30...

I met Ray about a decade ago in S Florida, I had to leave my boat at a marina for a bit, and his was in the adjacent slip... Great guy, got a quick tour of his boat, seemed like a sweet boat, to me...

He's a big fan of the design, he actually had to sell it at one point, and then was lucky enough to be able to buy it back again years later... I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have...

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an older thread, but I've had an original Farallon 29 since 1975. I worked at East bay Boatworks, helped build the molds and have been sailing mine ever since. They are great boats, possibly one of the worlds best pocked cruisers. Several have circumnavigated (Bob Rowland). I took mine to Hawaii and back a few years ago, a great trip. I ran into one of the originals (mine is # 6, there were only 9 of them) that had been rolled over in a hurricane, lost nothing but a winch handle and a jar or strawberry jam.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Chris. My wife and I own a Farallon 29 which was heavily customized. It has a small wooden house with two bronze ports on either side (like a Morris Frances 26) and is all wood except for the FG hull, mast and boom. I've been refitting it for years in my spare time. We moved it from Alameda to Stockton several years ago. I really like the way it sails.

I'd appreciate any information on the build or history. It was first recorded (documentation) in 1983 by Jeffrey Baker. First name for the boat I see is "Halsey." It was then sold in 1988 to Cheryl Gostisha, again in 1989 to Charles Woods, with the last owner prior to our purchase being Michael Karavasales. He named the boat "Agrietha." The current name is "Luke."

Michael Leonard

PS I'm also Facebook friends with Chuck Burns.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi, Chris. My wife and I own a Farallon 29 which was heavily customized. It has a small wooden house with two bronze ports on either side (like a Morris Frances 26) and is all wood except for the FG hull, mast and boom. I've been refitting it for years in my spare time. We moved it from Alameda to Stockton several years ago. I really like the way it sails.

I'd appreciate any information on the build or history. It was first recorded (documentation) in 1983 by Jeffrey Baker. First name for the boat I see is "Halsey." It was then sold in 1988 to Cheryl Gostisha, again in 1989 to Charles Woods, with the last owner prior to our purchase being Michael Karavasales. He named the boat "Agrietha." The current name is "Luke."

Michael Leonard

PS I'm also Facebook friends with Chuck Burns.
Michael -

I can't help with any information on your boat, but I own a Bodega 30 with a factory finished interior - it looks more or less like the standard layout in the original Farallon 29 schematics. I do know at least 5 of these (Golden Gate 30/Farallon 29/ Bodega 30) have circumnavigated, and most have gone offshore - not bad for a fleet of less than 100 hulls. I have never talked to Chuck Burns, but recently discovered he is only a few blocks away from my house - I should go ring his bell one of these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I have a Golden Gate 30 we purchased in Florida.
We've since cruised about 3,000nm on her and couldn't be happier with the offshore capabilities of this little cruiser.
I'm trying to find out more about ours in particular because someone before us installed an all wood interior of tiger stripe maple, birds eye maple, teak, holly, mahogany etc and it looks like they spent a lifetime doing it.
I'd love to talk with the person who did it.
The boat's name is Heike, and she was registered out of St. Augustine FL when we bought her but she'd recently passed through a few hands and I'm not sure how long ago this interior was put in.
Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
929 Posts
Glad to see Heike landed a new home - I remember the previous owners did a lot of work on her. I have a factory Bodega 30 and I believe Heike's interior is custom - the layout is different than mine, or what the original plans show.
Would love to see some pics of her.

You are right, these are great offshore boats - built like a tank, yet easily driven and go to weather well - best of all worlds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to see Heike landed a new home - I remember the previous owners did a lot of work on her. I have a factory Bodega 30 and I believe Heike's interior is custom - the layout is different than mine, or what the original plans show.
Would love to see some pics of her.

You are right, these are great offshore boats - built like a tank, yet easily driven and go to weather well - best of all worlds.
Hi lazer,
Yeah she's a beauty, we get compliments everywhere we go.
Have plenty of pics as we are getting ready to sell her and move up to a larger boat.
Would love to know more about any of the previous owners, do you know who did the wood?

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's great to see some other folks with Farallon 29's/GG 30's. I have owned a Farallon 29, Hull 001 in San Francisco Bay for about 13 years now. Cruised up and down the California Coast, mostly single-handed. I have been enjoying the solid, full-keeled 'landings' in some of the more frisky weather. I'm always looking for other Farallons/GG's to sail and share information with.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Welcom to Sailnet Farallon29 - hull #1, that is pretty cool. I've been busy refitting my Bodega30 - just finished all new standing rigging and chainplates. I singlehand mine all the time back and forth between San Pedro and Catalina - just love the boat and her sailing characteristics. PM me if you want to chat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've recently purchased a Golden Gate 30 and it sails wonderfully, but there are some questions I have that perhaps someone on this forum could answer, or even Chuck Burns himself if someone has his contact info. Unfortunately the "call" link on the first page of this topic is just SPAM for hunting website.

Question 1: What size bolts are used for the upper rudder strap?

Question 2: Is there a good pre-fabricated trapezoid hatch replacement for the V-Berth?

·
thebrianmanley
4 Posts
Add my vote for the Farallon 29/Golden Gate 30! Hard to find information on these boats for some reason. Just rare I guess? I purchased my 1976 Farallon 29 last summer and couldn't be happier with it so far. Except going in reverse. To-port prop walk is a bit insane, but whatever...you deal with it I guess. Attached a few pics for fun. I believe the interior was owner-finished as the head is where I think the chart table was on the original drawings.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts