SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, do people care? Should I keep posting our passages here?

We had a nice time here at Bald Head Island. The assistant dockmaster here was the former City Manager for Southport, NC for the past 15 years. He offered to take us for a tour of town, so we took him up on it today, took the ferry to shore and cruised around town. We had great hushpuppies at PJ's, a local haunt, checked out the Maritime Museum and now we're back on Pelican preparing for our short passage tomorrow/Sunday.

The distance is only 122nm. We'll be leaving at 7:30am - right around slack. We'd like to beat a 2.5kt flood if we can. The only issue is that they are having unusually low tides here, and we grounded at our slip in very, very soft mud. How do I know how soft? We actually grounded 15 feet off our slip, and I was still able to push us forward all the way to our slip with a few extra RPM's on the engine. We're fine at high tide, but it may be iffy at 7:30am.

The weather forecast for this weekend calls for fairly light winds (10kts), low seas (2-3ft) and a bit of rain. We're looking forward to a more sedate passage. At an average of 4kts (assuming light winds), we'll be to Charleston in approximately 30 hours. Once again, you can track our progress via the same SPOT address from before, listed on our blog at s/v Pelican - Following A Dream.

·
19,489 Posts
First off, do people care? Should I keep posting our passages here?
Of course! Always good to hear of others' adventures! Best of luck.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Chris, I often found myself asking the same question, but many assured me they looked forward to my posts. So keep 'em coming. Here's a good NOAA site for the rest of your route: Tampa Bay Area Marine Weather Page

Has forecasts and bouys on one page.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Absolutely post Chris...we had fun and a bit of worry the last time and the Spot is great to track your progress. Helps with Sailnet Winter Derangement Syndrome!
Looks like motoring weather or on the nose...I'm betting 24 hours under iron genny! :D Safe travels.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Definately keep posting. Those of us not sailing right now depend on it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Labatt - I check your blog at least once a day! As well as this site. Post where you will, just keep posting.

PBzeer - Your sailnet blog and Music on the Wind are bookmarked. I don't check them but about once a week as you have not posted in awhile. "Posting" here or in Cruising is appreciated, as I read them daily.

To you both and the others who share their stories,
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Please do post, we all like following each other's trips.

Fair winds

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
keep posting or we'll start talking about you in off topic

You could just post a link to updated blog entries if you don't want to repeat everything.

"hey, we're leaving for Ctown tomorrow morn, click here for details"

We're 2 years behind you, keep the rosy postings coming!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I drove over to the boat on jackstands today. Pulled the extension ladder out. Fought with plumbing for few hours. Listened to the wind howling like mad. Froze my toes.
Almost as good, eh?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Evening Chris,

Please do continue to post either here or your blog. We can all learn alot from paying attention to each others journeys and encounters.

Check out the info at this link to help with your fishing gear.

http://www.seastriker.com/downloads/clark.pdf

I fish from Whampoa with a pair of handlines rigged with 100lb test mono, one of the small to medium planers (size 1 or 2) mentioned on the link and various sizes of Clark spoon or soft plastic baits. A couple of plywood "spools" shaped like something you might wind your kite string around can be made with little effort .

Tie a 12-18" piece of 1/4" or 5/16 " bungie cord to the plywood the attach the 100 lb test mono (60 -75 feet is plenty) to the bungie cord. This acts as a snubber to take some of the jolt out of the strike when a fish hits. Tie a heavy snap swivel to the end of the 100lb mono and attach that to the bale on the planer. Make up a 6-8' leader out of 30-50 lb mono or small leader wire if you have the tools for it and tie the leader to the eye in the back of the planer. Tie on the lure of the day and go fishing. Spanish Mackerel, dolphin, king fish and wahoo are all easily caught using this simple rig and make great table fare.

The planers are great as they take your lure down deeper and pop the fish to the surface when you get a hit . Great fun behind the sailboat. Be sure to watch for crab pots while trolling them though or you will be replacing gear alot! Don't ask me how I know.....

To help prevent the hand line from becoming tangled when you retrieve it to catch your fish, drop the incoming line into a small plastic bucket that you have lashed near the stern deck area where you are fishing.

Good luck down to Charleston.

Best Regards, John

A nice Wahoo caught just south of Key Biscayne this time last year on a friends cat.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I used to do a lot of trolling for salmon. One method is lead core line. This is a heavy line that could get our spoons down 35' at 3 to 4 mph. You attach a leader to the end of the lead core and then a spoon to that. I used planers a lot also but the lead core was easier to deploy. Downside was you put out a lot more line to get down deep. Some days fish would not bite the planer lure but would bite the lead core.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Coming across from Destin to Tampa, we trailed a neon squid on the front of the third wave in our wake. Got two 30+ inch King Mackerals, a 3 foot Wahoo, and half a dozen Bonitas. Boat speed was 4.5 - 5 knots.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Pelican's spot is set to 24 hours. I read on a message board somebody keeping a 7 day track, is that possible?
I would think 10 minute updates aren't that important moving at 5k.

·
Registered
164 Posts
He controls his SPOT by turning it off and on and selecting to turn on the tracking mode. He could if he chose to, not turn on tracking mode and only send a position report manually on some set period by manually using the "Check In" option. For example he could decide to send only a noon report and a 6:00 PM local report if he chose to.

The system will store the last 30 days worth of data points for his viewing but only displays the last 24 hours worth of data points for the shared view.

He has no control over the 10 minute update cycle once he selects the tracking mode.

He can download the data points for later reference as long as he captures them before they expire after 30 days.

I could be wrong here but these statements are based on my reading of the handbook and the website as I learned how to use our SPOT. Happy to hear other opinions and to learn how better to use the device.

Handy little device for a variety of adventures.

Regards, John

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
The system will store the last 30 days worth of data points for his viewing but only displays the last 24 hours worth of data points for the shared view. Regards, John
That sucks. I wonder why the shared view can't display 30 days worth.

if they are worried about using too much server space, they could give you X number of tracking data points and you choose how to space them. The every 10 minutes spacing seems a waste, especially for slower moving boats.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Congratulations Chris and Crew,

Hope your passage to Charleston was a pleasant one.

Regards, John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts