SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while painting the inside of the hull under the vberth on my '73 Pearson 30 I stepped on and cracked the plastic shroud around the old (original?) standard horizon speed transducer. long story short, the shroud contains a clear goo like liquid that the transducer sits in. Weird. Should I ..
a) tape, plastic and 5200 the transducer back in the cap & hope for the best
b) call standard horizon, scour ebay for a new old one etc
c) stop being so cheap and buy a Raymarine st 40

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,414 Posts
I assume that was a shoot-thru-the-hull type transducer. They need to have no air between them and the hull. Folks use mineral oil, silicone, epoxy, or even wax to get a good continuous connection. You might be able to clean it out and refill with wax and then press the ducer into the wax (wax rings that seal toilets to the floor is a good, cheap source of sticky wax). With wax you won't have to worry about it flowing out of the cracked housing. And if it doesn't work, you're no worse off.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,414 Posts
I assumed this is a shoot-thru (in hull) transducer. If this is a transducer installed in a thru-hull hole, cracks have other worries, such as leaks. But thru-hull transducers don't have accompanying goo, so far as I know.

And if the crack didn't make the goo leak out, repairing /taping the housing may be all you need, as long as the transducer doesn't have an air gap.

Others would know better, but I kind of thought that transducers installed back a ways usually went in thru-hulls. Might not be original.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I don't believe that is the case here, since he said this is a speed transducer, and most speed transducers mount through the hull since they have a paddle wheel. :)

If it were a depth transducer, it might be because it was setup to shoot through the hull... but I've never seen a speed transducer that shot through the hull. IIRC, even the ultrasonic speed transducer requires it be located in the water.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,414 Posts
Hah, you're right, Dog. But the goo thing made me think that he was talking about a depth transducer. johnp30, is this indeed a speed transducer? Wire goes to knotmeter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good catches guys. I thought it was the speed ducer because I was thinking the paddle wheel was roughly in this spot -- a few feet forward of the head on the starboard side. Turns out it is not. I think the speed ducer must be the one further aft under the starboard setee. So this thing with the goo in it under the vberth must be a shoot thru the hull depth ducer. I will trace the wires this weekend. There's another wrinkle, though -- directly under the water tank in the vberth is a metal (bronze, i guess) plug that stands up out of the hull about 2-3 inches and has a wire going into the top. I'm guessing that this might be my functioning depth ducer and the other goo thing could be the original??? I have to trace wires and test -- sorry about the ignorance, just trying to get to know the boat and get to the bottom of it!!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If it is the depth transducer, you can use mineral oil to refill the thing. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts