SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't think I want to be sailing on this boat. What do you guys think?

·
Old soul
4,544 Posts
Re: Good bang you bucks or just nuts???

Good on them. I don't agree with all their choices, but I love their approach. As the fellow says, (paraphrase): "People may laugh, but we're out here living the life, while the naysayers are still tied to the mooring ball."

·
Registered
21,764 Posts

Love the spirit. Not so much the choices. Think some of those shown are not simply the budget choice, but suggest they don't know what they don't know. I loved the line that said to untie the blue and white sweater from around your neck and get out there. (I keep mine in storage, for special occasions). However, arbitrarily declaring their severely rusted homemade galvanized steel rigging will last a couple more years is just a WAG. They realize this as they continually disclaim it not being a how to vid.

I do wish them the best.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
2,524 Posts

I had a co worker bought a 38 footer and spent four years on the hard and about one half the cost of the boat trying to make it perfect before he left for his dream of getting to the Bahamas and ultimately Grenada. He finally left and got to the Bahamas in January and could not stand the winds and weather. Returned to Miami where he pretty much stays on the dock these days.

This couple is at the other end of the spectrum. As long as they stay close enough to parts supplies I think they'll be able to survive. I keep thinking about what happened at Palmyra Island. A similar couple got there and got stuck with a boat that became too un-seaworthy to return. Then another couple came along and anchored. They were an older couple that had a well prepared trawler in top notch condition. They were never seen again and the young couple ended up back in Hawaii on the couples trawler. That murder trail was chronicled in the book AND THE SEA WILL TELL.

Dreams can end in desperation if you don't prepare properly or have the skill set needed to survive. When you are out there you never know who you'll run into or how desperate they really are.

·
Old soul
4,544 Posts

Dreams can end in desperation if you don't prepare properly or have the skill set needed to survive. When you are out there you never know who you'll run into or how desperate they really are.
Wow Mike... this took a dark turn. It's a big leap to go from galvanized standing rigging to murder.

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts

I didn't watch the video since I was pretty sure of the goal just from the cleavage bikini photo

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Love the spirit. Not so much the choices. Think some of those shown are not simply the budget choice, but suggest they don't know what they don't know.
A very hearty "ditto!"

As someone other than me has said before, the sea is unrelenting and unforgiving. Bad choices made at the dock, or in a quiet anchorage, can lead to life-threatening situations at sea. I can only hope that these folks learn the lessons that they need to learn before anyone gets really hurt.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts

Wow Mike... this took a dark turn. It's a big leap to go from galvanized standing rigging to murder.
Well as Jimmy Buffet sang "Down in the tropics they come and they go" Some people will try a cut all kinds of corners. After seeing their boat I certainly would not hire this guy to work on my boat. You never know who you might run into. Probably won't get murdered but, it has happened at least twice that I know of. More likely you might lend some charts or a tool(s) to a fellow sailor only to find their boat has pulled up anchor and left the next day as has happened to people that I know. Still got to keep your eyes open even in "paradise".

·
Old soul
4,544 Posts

Well as Jimmy Buffet sang "Down in the tropics they come and they go" Some people will try a cut all kinds of corners. After seeing their boat I certainly would not hire this guy to work on my boat. You never know who you might run into. Probably won't get murdered but, it has happened at least twice that I know of. More likely you might lend some charts or a tool(s) to a fellow sailor only to find their boat has pulled up anchor and left the next day as has happened to people that I know. Still got to keep your eyes open even in "paradise".
Very true. But I bet the murder rate amongst cruisers is far less than most urban areas that cruisers come from. I agree, I wouldn't necessarily hire the couple to work on my boat, but their spirit of making do with what they have, and what they know, seems to be one we can all appreciate.

The stories of people who are never quite ready to leave because they have one more project, or have one more thing to improve, or don't have enough money ... these are the far more common stories. This little video shows that perfection is not required.

P.S. I knew a fellow who used galvanized rigging. He was a linesman, so that's what he knew. It seemed to work fine. Was way cheaper and easier as a DIY. Just wasn't very pretty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I enjoy watching their vids. Their positive attitude is inspiring and they show that you can live the dream, even on a shoestring. You just have to have the courage to toss the lines. I admit some of his DIY repairs are cringe-worthy. When you don't have much money you just make do. Bailing wire and duct tape and a watchful eye. I wish them luck.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Continue to applaud their spirit. The only thing that worries me is if they inspire some of the unsafe methods they chose. Severely rusted galvanized standing rigging could kill the next cruiser. Unsafe DC wiring is the number one cause of boat fires, by far. I took no exception to them passing on tinned wire, but I think he said he ran lamp cord.

Still love that they are out there and that inspiration is very welcome. I hope it continues safely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Liked her. Didn't like him.
I've been watching for a while. She's definitely more likable than him. Actually, during that video he mentions he used to be a cage fighter. After he said that I looked at the woman sitting next to me and said "That makes a whole lot more sense, I don't dislike him as much now". Not sure why, but knowing that changed my perception of him in a good way.

Continue to applaud their spirit. The only thing that worries me is if they inspire some of the unsafe methods they chose. Severely rusted galvanized standing rigging could kill the next cruiser. Unsafe DC wiring is the number one cause of boat fires, by far. I took no exception to them passing on tinned wire, but I think he said he ran lamp cord.

Still love that they are out there and that inspiration is very welcome. I hope it continues safely.
In the video he mentions that anything above the water line is lamp cord (or whatever he used) but did indicate below the water line it was marine grade.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Keep the mast up...and they keep on going
If everything was 'proper' it would all the the same stuff...and just another one of those
Not a clone for sure

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I didn't watch the video since I was pretty sure of the goal just from the cleavage bikini photo
It really was not..not that I mind seeing the bikini I was embarrassed when that thumbnail displayed on the post......I had never heard of using galvanized cable for rigging....I just had to know what everyone here thought about their cost-cutting

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts

......I had never heard of using galvanized cable for rigging....I just had to know what everyone here thought about their cost-cutting
Well that has been around a long time and you can find out more on it by people more reliable than a bikini wearing blogger with some research

1 - 20 of 32 Posts