SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel about the ones from Costco? Do they measure up to EastPenn etc?

This questions pertains to their Marine batts too.

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
I would bet Costco doesn’t make their own batteries, so it’s a question of who did. That may not even be consistent over time.

·
bell ringer
4,817 Posts
they are fine

The golf cart market is so big and manure that I feel all batteries in are "good".

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are "good" batteries and "not so good" batteries. Trojan, Johnson, Deka/East Penn, for example, all know how to build a good battery. But that doesn’t mean that every battery they build is equally good, or equally suited for the service you intend. For example, I’m using Trojan L-16 6-volt batteries. They make several different batteries, in several different product lines, that all fit that specification. The AH ratings vary from about 370 to 450, so I would guess that there are differences that go beyond just the capacity. So even going directly to the manufacturers will require research and some guesswork.

As Minnewaska points out, when you add a distributor that is private-labeling "something" from "somebody," you need to do a lot more research to know what’s on the shelf.

·
12,236 Posts
There are "good" batteries and "not so good" batteries. Trojan, Johnson, Deka/East Penn, for example, all know how to build a good battery. But that doesn’t mean that every battery they build is equally good, or equally suited for the service you intend. For example, I’m using Trojan L-16 6-volt batteries. They make several different batteries, in several different product lines, that all fit that specification. The AH ratings vary from about 370 to 450, so I would guess that there are differences that go beyond just the capacity. So even going directly to the manufacturers will require research and some guesswork.

As Minnewaska points out, when you add a distributor that is private-labeling "something" from "somebody," you need to do a lot more research to know what’s on the shelf.
How do you guys feel about the ones from Costco? Do they measure up to
c?

Compare warranties. Most good companies have at least a one year complete replacement a a number pro rated
If they won’t warentee it at all....what does that tell youv😊😁

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,517 Posts
I don't believe the Costco batteries are true marine or true deep cycle batteries, they are dual purpose starter/deep cycle batteries. They are decent quality from my research and you can expect 5 years of life out of them if cared for properly.

It is what I use because they are cheap and I have no need for true deep cycle batteries at this moment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just curious, not argumentative. Why do you say that Costco golf-cart batteries aren’t "true" marine or deep-cycle batteries? As far as I know, there is no accepted standard for a "marine" battery or a "deep-cycle" battery. If you mean that a battery that’s "cheaper" has probably cut some corners someplace when compared to a "premium" battery like Rolls-Surrette, that’s probably true. But that has nothing to do with it being labeled "marine" or "deep-cycle" or not. For a full-time, live-aboard sailboat with a decent sized solar array, why wouldn’t batteries from a reputable company designed for "renewable energy" service be every bit as good?

·
bell ringer
4,817 Posts
Imo all gc2 golf cart batteries are “true” deep cycle. Batteries dont get any deeper than on a golf cart.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Costco sells Interstate batteries - they are even labelled as such. Who makes them for Interstate is another question, but I think it is Johnson Controls for the GC ones. The GC 6V they sell are "true" deep cycle of a certain quality, but they also sell 12V "deep cycle" batteries that are more of a dual purpose like @jephotog describes.

Mark

·
12,236 Posts
Not all lead plates are the same thickness. That’s one plates where corners are cut.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,517 Posts
Just curious, not argumentative. Why do you say that Costco golf-cart batteries aren’t "true" marine or deep-cycle batteries?
I meant to include this

There is a difference starting batteries have thin lead plates so high amp draws can happen. Deep cycle batteries are thicker, for optimum storage. In regards to their purpose the two batteries are often rated differently.
CCA cold cranking amps for starter
AH for for deep cycle.
Since the Costco Marine batteries are labeled as CCA and a 'reserve amps' or something like that. The 'reserve amps' are somewhat convertible to AH, Since these batteries are labeled something more akin to a staring battery, I would guess they are medium thickness and labeled as deep cycle with reference to their capacity to start as well.

I make no claim to any knowledge of golf cart batteries, I am learning about them as this battery replacement threads evolve. I would assume from their function they are true deep cycle batteries as there is not a combustion motor to start on a golf cart.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the Costco batteries are rated by "reserve capacity" and "cranking amps," I’d agree with you that they’re not "deep cycle" batteries. Neither of those ratings has much, if anything, to say about the capacity of a battery used for house (not starter) service.

But I was trying to make the point that there is no standard definition of "marine" or "deep cycle." A manufacturer can print up those labels and slap them on any battery and nobody can say they’re wrong. So when a battery "proudly" wears a sticker saying "marine" or "deep cycle" you should probably ignore it.

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts

·
12,236 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts