SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
do you guys have apic of that toilet bowl wax? im trying to find it here...maybe Im not asking well

I need to install my fishfinder soon

thanks

·
Censored4 your protection
192 Posts
It is a toilet wax ring seal. Any local plumber should be able to sort you out with one or two. smash them up like clay puddy in your hands untill warm and soft then press the transducer in while rocking it to remove air bubbles from its underside.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
sounds like under vberth for you guys

I found the toilet wax so Ill let you guys know how it goes

good luck op

·
Barquito
3,888 Posts
The previous owner of my boat put the transducer in what looks like a pool of epoxy. Since it forms well to the irregular surface of the boat, I just squish it into a small amount of wax. I would worry that if it was epoxy, it would cook the electronics as it cures in such a big puddle.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm still toying with mounting locations for mine. I have a feeling it'll be figured out while under motor this weekend, whilst I figure out where to mount everything. I have a feeling my galley top might be retrofitted into a nav station by the time I get to the marina lol. But I have a DTS525 Standard Horizon in-hull transducer to mount up. Funny, the one owners manual I found online, says use mineral oil to seal the tube with after it's mounted. The other manual is almost identical, aside from saying do NOT use mineral oil. Well wtf guys, make up my mind! (I'm tempted to go with it anyway, just to spite the revised manual writers). I THINK I have a decent spot for it, just inside my locker on the floor. I'll make an actual floor to cover it up afterwards in there, I think will be best. It's far enough back from the bow as to not let the motions of the boat lift it anywhere near out of the water, close enough to the front to give me an accurate enough reading along the front edge of the keel, and close enough to the centerline so it shouldn't come above the line while heeled. I just need to sand the floor down smooth, and get some silicone to seal the ring with, let it cure, and fill her up. Man the patience is gonna be tested on that curing step. All those gadgets that I can't play with yet...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.