SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys over at crew.org.nz posted this link to this video. Is this wild of what ?

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8TtcZjAuF4A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool boats, what are they?
Charlie, I'm not absolutely sure. I can only find non English sites but it sems to be called Vela Lateena and they are specific to the Canary Islands.

·
19,488 Posts
That's pretty cool.... I'm sure it would take me longer than that to tack if I had to remove/reconnect the forestay every time!!

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool music and wicked how they tacked / gybed and took the genoa behind the mast..How they do it?
I confess the music grabbed me as well. Almost had a bit of a New Order feel about it. Its actually an American by the name of Tom Geiger.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i have seen adjustable back stays but never adjustable shrouds. every tack they let the main sheet go, pop the shroud, swing the forestay/sail around, tighten the windward shroud, and reset the main sheet. i will call it a main sheet, because it is the only/main sail. i guess with a sail that big swinging the front of the sail around it faster then swinging the sail around with sheets.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Charlie, I'm not absolutely sure. I can only find non English sites but it sems to be called Vela Lateena and they are specific to the Canary Islands.
That makes sense -- it does appear to be a lateen rig, but with an unconventional method for tacking!!:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts