SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The website asks me to introduce myself but I am not sure if this is the intended method. Oh well-- just bought a new to me Irwin 34 and planning to move her this Fall from Lake Erie to the Chesapeake by going clockwise on the Loop. I hear that I have to drop the mast to get thru the canals of New York. Any suggestions as to another route maybe up into Ontario that will allow the mast to remain upright? If I have to step the mast, does the boat have to be pulled out? Also, my boat has the original gas stove/oven that is gold in color. Thinking of replacing it with a stainless- any suggestions on where to look for updated appliances- would also like to upgrade from an icebox to a refrig. thx bob

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Pictures Bob!!
congrats on the buy!
There are conversion kits to make a ice box run on 12volt Refrigeration. VERY efficient too.

Too many stoves to choose from so I'll leave you to that.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
If you have lots of time and are confident with a more challenging passage you can go down the St Lawrence River and around Nova Scotia. This is much, much further and gives you access to some incredible cruising grounds. We have done a recent circumnavigation and still have southern Newfoundland at the top of our list of cruising grounds. It is incredible. I would not want to take this route without radar though. Lots of fog between the lower St Lawrence River and Maine.

Getting your mast down is no big deal. The boat does not need to be hauled. There are marinas at both ends of the canal that will do it for you. You store it on deck for the canal passage. You have one choice to make. You can enter the canal system at Buffalo or at Oswego near the the SE corner of Lake Ontario. If it is a pure delivery the Buffalo option is best, but if you want to be a tourist then the Lake Ontario option is good.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Congrats on the boat and welcome to SailNet! There are a lot of good folks here that always seem free with a suggestion or idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts