SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Two out of the six windows on my boat are made out of acrylic and they're dull and scratched. I want to replace them with tempered glass.

Do you have any recommendations for a shop that will be able to do this well? I don't believe the manufacturer of the window frames is around anymore.

Thank you.

Michiel

·
19,488 Posts
What boat? What kind of installation/framing/etc? Any curvature involved? Pictures would be helpful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does it help? Do you have a glass shop?

It's 1983 Cooper 316 (ah yes!). Aluminum frame inside, aluminum frame with vinyl gasket outside. I need new gasket for the other windows as well - haven't been able to locate that exact kind.

This is one of the acrylic windows that I want to replace with glass:

Here you can see the gasket I'm looking for (this is obviously the outside of the boat):

Or in more detail:

Another view of one of the windows from the inside:

·
19,488 Posts
No, I don't have a glass shop, but it's helpful to know exactly the situation before attempting to make a suggestion.

There's probably minimal curvature in the cabin sides of Cooper 316. Meaning glass is a possibility. This google search might lead you to a source, (if you've not done this already) https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourcei...9&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=custom boat windows

As a long shot if Queenship Yachts is still around someone there might remember from the Cooper days who their supplier was. Another source might be RV/Trailer manufacturers for the gasketing if your frames are OK.

I know a friend who had a Cal 35 with similar windows replaced them altogether but can't remember the source, nowadays stuff gets shipped from almost anywhere.

While those are big windows, with similar style but smaller I've seen the gaskets replaced with a sealant like DC 795.. keep a few short pieces of the gasket to center/locate the glass and after masking things off fill the surrounding gap with the sealant.

I think you may need to get creative and look for other sources for the gasketing, pretty well any glass shop should be able to source the actual panes to your specs and measurements.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You might try Tempaglass in North Van. They did some custom work for me a few years ago. Dont know if they are still around

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
If you can't find tempered, have you considered safety pane (2 layer like windshield. ) comes in tinted too.I've cut and ground some quite large windows with radius corners for commercial vessels.Seal edges and bed well .Lots of choices and types of beading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts