SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought a few might be interested in this --- if they didn't know about it already.

Google Alerts: https://support.google.com/alerts/answer/175925?hl=en

It's a way to have Google always on the lookout for you. You can set a few and that comes in handy to make sure you get a result for all of these

"oday sailboat"
"o day sailboat"
"oday sail boat"
"o'day sailboat"

Also, make sure you limit the perameters so you don't get too many results. For example: if you have an alert for "Wayfarer" without "Sailboat" expect to get a lot of sunglasses and Tom Cruise results.

Also, I am pretty sure you can use an asterisks as a wild card

for example: Cat* Sailboat

will get both Catalina and Catamaran

Google Alerts - Monitor the Web for interesting new content

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I should have added that this could be for things other than buying. You could search for

Sail for Laser Sailboat
Review for Beneteau Oceanis 45

Crew Wanted Atlantic

Also, some of your results might direct you to Sailnet.... I am not sure if you put a minus in front of Sailnet ( -sailnet ) if it will find everything but results that have Sailnet on the page.. Google used to do it that way, but I am not sure if they still do.

·
Barquito
3,656 Posts
Thanks Titus, I was not aware of that feature. In addition to your advice, I would add that if you want to find something on Sailnet you can limit your search to this web site like this:
bristol 27 site: sailnet.com

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Titus, I was not aware of that feature. In addition to your advice, I would add that if you want to find something on Sailnet you can limit your search to this web site like this:
bristol 27 site: sailnet.com

You mean in google (or I guess an alert) you put:

site:sailnet.com 'designer's choice'

My point earlier is that if you don't want sailnet results you might be able to put " -sailnt "... I use the search window at the top of the page when I am searching this site...

Thanks for the pointer though

·
Registered
13 Posts
google alerts is very underrated. If they advertised it more, I am sure a lot more people would use it. I always forget it, so thanks for the reminder!

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is true.. the irony to me is how much they normally do advertise.. or their business model is based on advertising... The way google operates, I would suspect I would be getting e-mails with ads in them

I have one right now that I get an e-mail about once every two weeks. If I was actually remembering to do the search, it would have ads.

The really odd thing about google, that never ceases to amaze me, is how many great ideas they come up with, but abandon without much notice.. which I suspect will be the way of the 'alerts'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts