SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love 'em or hate 'em, the GoPro is now more popular than ever!

This film was made using footage taken on both the GoPro and the (much cheaper) Xacti. You can clearly tell which shots were taken on which camera:

So which camera is better? I'll let you be the judge...

Pete

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I can clearly tell which shots were taken on which camera? Uh. No. Actually, I can't. How could I possibly know, unless I was already quite familiar with both of these cameras?

Are you trying to tell us that the GoPro is worth the extra money? Or are you trying to tell us that the Xacti is a much better deal, because it costs less and yet takes better pictures? A simple, straightforward statement would be much more useful than this riddle, to those of us who aren't already familiar with these cameras.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
The Xacti seems to take perfectly adequate video for personal memories.

I use a Polaroid XS100. Dead-simple, waterproof, does not require the special "box" that a GoPro uses. Specs here: Polaroid XS100 specifications It also included nearly any kind of bracket that you could possibly need.

It doesn't have all the features of a GoPro, but I don't require all that. I call it the "FauxPro".

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanks for the great vid. I'll be in that neck of the woods in June/July this year so your clip has made me even more stoked.

I have used the Xacti for a couple of years and thought it was okay: it's pretty robust and waterproof to 10feet. I got it before the GoPro's were available.
I've seen some amazing footage from GoPro's in all environments. My brother flies a small aircraft and gets incredible footage from a GoPro attached outside his plane.

For our trip I considered getting a GoPro but decided against it. The main reason being that you cannot monitor your shots without an external monitor attached - which would make it challenging for any sailing/diving application.

I decided to try the Nikon Coolpix AW110:

This camera has a couple of features that I thought would make it more versatile for my needs i.e. aquatic action and tourist crap.

The camera is waterproof to 59'; shockproof to 6.6'; it has a built-in GPS - so you can sort images/vids by location etc.; you can download a free app to your phone or tablet that will enable you to see your image and activate your camera from your phone/tablet (you can even use the zoom function).

I haven't used the camera yet so I can't vouch for it, but I am looking forward to trying it out.

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can clearly tell which shots were taken on which camera? Uh. No. Actually, I can't. How could I possibly know, unless I was already quite familiar with both of these cameras?

Are you trying to tell us that the GoPro is worth the extra money? Or are you trying to tell us that the Xacti is a much better deal, because it costs less and yet takes better pictures? A simple, straightforward statement would be much more useful than this riddle, to those of us who aren't already familiar with these cameras.
The shot of the wing, the arrivals and the car journey are all GoPro. Then the first yacht sequence from and including the pontoon are on the Xacti.

The clearest change is when it goes from the time lapse in to the Corinth Canal (using a Xacti) to the slower moving shots (using a GoPro).

Pete

·
Registered
393 Posts
(snippage)
For our trip I considered getting a GoPro but decided against it. The main reason being that you cannot monitor your shots without an external monitor attached - which would make it challenging for any sailing/diving application.
FW, my GoPro Hero3 Black has wifi, and there's a free app for iPhnoe, Android, tablets that is effectively a full remote monitor. I use it on my 10" tablet, and it works beautifully.

I also have an older Coolpix, and I really like it, but it's much, much simpler than the Hero3. Still, the Coolpix goes with me sailing, camping, whatever. My biggest complaint about it is the inability to charge the Li ion battery without removing is from the camera.

Good luck with the AW110, it's had a LOT of complaints.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
The shot of the wing, the arrivals and the car journey are all GoPro. Then the first yacht sequence from and including the pontoon are on the Xacti.

The clearest change is when it goes from the time lapse in to the Corinth Canal (using a Xacti) to the slower moving shots (using a GoPro).

Pete
I agree with Pete. Are we right?

In my opinion the GoPro has better image but the lens is very wide angle and the scenes are curved, kind of distorted. Given the big price diff, I would go with the Sanyo.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Yeah I saw that after I bought the camera. Fingers crossed.
No that thing is badass. Those and other brand equivalents like the Panasonic lumix ts5 are a better alternative than the gopro.

I've heard great things about the gopro and I did some research, the rugged compact cameras just seem like a better all around choice. I wouldn't want to shoot everything with a fisheye lens.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I have the Panasonic/Lumix TS3 (predecessor to the TS5) and a GoPro-like camera. I see them as being different.

The GoPro cameras are great when you need something compact and easy to mount almost anywhere. The wide angle is helpful for certain types of shots. They are sort of a one trick pony however. Two sailing specific places where I've found the GoPro helpful are shooting instructional videos (because the fisheye lens lets you capture the entire cockpit) and doing quick underwater inspections.

The TS5 is great as a general purpose travel camera that can get wet. It's my go-to camera for shooting from the dinghy or a kayak.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
They each have their place no doubt, and myself being primarily concerned with photo over video I'm drawn to the rugged cameras.

I was just saying if you could only have one, the ts5 or nikon is a better do it all choice, since it still shoots good video and is waterproof. They have good mounts for diving, or mounting an underwater light, or to your stern rail.

I do see your point about the gopro being good for instructional videos. I just down like the wide angle distortion, unless I'm shooting something in a way I want that wide angle look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts