SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been curious as to how my bottom has looked since I changed cleaning services. I got a Gopro for Xmas and attached it to a pole and dropped it in to get a gander today. The results are here:

I would LOVE some input, particularly from the bottom cleaning experts. The last time he cleaned was roughly two weeks ago. The first and last :15 are the best.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
So, I've been curious as to how my bottom has looked since I changed cleaning services. I got a Gopro for Xmas and attached it to a pole and dropped it in to get a gander today. The results are here:
bottom vid 012014 - YouTube

I would LOVE some input, particularly from the bottom cleaning experts. The last time he cleaned was roughly two weeks ago. The first and last :15 are the best.
Not even close to being an expert on anything, but it looks like he may have "missed" a few spots? MDR, Marina Del Rey? Salt water, about mid 50's F, two weeks? or maybe just where it gets the most light?

GOPRO? beats diving. :D

Paul T

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes they are. I had a piece of canvas blow off the dock while treating it last spring and it immediately sunk. I use my GoPro to locate it before jumping into the 40 degree water to fish it out.

BTW, you need a new bottom cleaner.

·
19,488 Posts
Kinda looks like he started 5 mins before coffee break... and never made it back!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My bottom cleaner knows that I have no hesitation in jumping in myself to check his work. Consequently, I get a decent cleaning each month. He even leaves me a note indicating what he's done and what he feels needs to be done.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,399 Posts
I do a better job with a mask & snorkle, suction cup and a brush. It takes me about 40 min if I'm alone.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
You need to track that bottom cleaner down and get all your money back.

If you don't get your money back, you need to start emailing the link to that video to everyone at the marina. Why? Because the guy needs a new profession -- it will benefit everyone around and eventually it will benefit him to.

Regards,
Brad

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I wonder if he even got into the water. Looks like the part that was missed is out of reach from a brush or broom used from the dock.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You can aim with a smart phone or tablet if equipped with wifi. The wifi does not go through the water too well so you fly blind under water but the lens is 170 degrees so it is very hard not to see want you aim the camera in the general direction of your subject.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Funny, when I bought my gopro the very first thing I did with it is look at the bottom of my boat. The second thing I did is buy a floaty, incase I dropped it. Wifi doesn't transmit through the water. But I definitely tried.
As far as the bottom of your boat goes, it's a pretty bad job, but it could have been much worse, it looks like they were in a rush. Hopefully you didn't pay to much for it.

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wifi goes away as soon as it goes in the water, so, yeah, it's blind photography. I have replaced the cleaning service. It's pretty evident that the keel and surrounding areas have not been cleaned in some time. It's a long and dumb story, but thanks to gopro, I will feel more confident that it is my poor seamanship skills, not a dirty bottom that is causing me to lag behind in regattas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts