SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Now need to find a place for the boat.

A couple weeks ago, I hit 17yrs in the military (Army) and have a few more left till I can retire. I also came down on order for my next assignment that I expect will be my last as well.

I'm currently in central Tennessee and will be moving to Ft. Belvoir, VA. It's on the Potomac so there is a marina. Down side, I'm working on a refit where I want to do a lot of the work myself and they don't allow any work/maintenance done at the onbase marina dry storage or RV storage.

I'll be living just west of the Dulles airport so there's going to be quite a commute already just to get to work. What I'm looking for from those familiar with the area, what are some good spots that won't cost an arm and a leg for storage and still be able to work on the boat myself. Not many options where I'll live so thinking closer to work might be an option, or maybe farther away?

I'm expecting my refit to take a few years or so, and want to eventually put back in the water on the Chesapeake so I guess I'm going to retire out of a good location. Interested in seeing what others would suggest.

Thanks ahead of time,
Daniel

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would travel to the area and look for self storage places, Many of them have storage for RV and boats. I would buy a quiet honda generator, keep things very clean and work out of your storage space.
Many years ago when I was in the navy, a friend of mine and I rented a large storage space and we worked on our cars out of it, illegal at most places. The owner was an ex navy guy he understood our situation and told us to keep clean and quiet, we did and had a great place to hang out after work. The ship is a lonely cold place on evenings in the shipyard!

Just my $.02

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a response from one place that regularly has boats coming and going and 24hr gate access.

"Minor repairs that do not affect your neighbors are allowed to be done on-site (no mechanical repairs). Glass/upholstery work is ok."

So I might be able to get away with some stuff that I want to do. But the hardest project will be removing the engine for replacing the fuel tank under it.

I'll see what else comes up.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I got a response from one place that regularly has boats coming and going and 24hr gate access.

"Minor repairs that do not affect your neighbors are allowed to be done on-site (no mechanical repairs). Glass/upholstery work is ok."

But the hardest project will be removing the engine for replacing the fuel tank under it.
Arguably not a mechanical repair.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
I thought most bases had a DIY shop to do stuff like this in? I think there is one here at West Point (closest base to me), though I have not seen it, but have heard of people doing some good car restorations in it, and are often shown off at the local car shows. When I heard you say "have to find a place to store the boat" I thought it was going to be abroad and was going to suggest selling if for 3 years. But glad you won't have to do that!

On the bright side, it get you to work a bit faster since there is some really good sailing not far from there! I imagine the Chesapeake is better than Tennessee.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Daniel,

Having done that tank replacement myself, IF you are quiet about it and keep it low key. I think you could do it in the yard you have talked to. As long as your not planning on having the engine rebuilt at the same time. It would be VERY hard to cover moving it off the boat.

Getting the engine out of the compartment is NOT that hard a job. You can slide it forward to the compression post. That SHOULD leave you just enough space to get the tank out (forward then aft out the companion way. Timing of removing the tank from the boat would be advisable. ;)

About the only power tool needed would be a sawsall to clip the top glass covering the tank to hull (IF your tank is foamed in place). I used a long thin hand saw myself. The rest of the work, removing the foam and breaking the tank free, is done by hand.

I know I spent weeks planning on removing the engine from the area. I have now done it 3 times and it's a lot easier than it looks!! :D

Congrats on the new assignment!! MIGHT see ya in a year or two if we head to the Chesapeake. We are talking about it. :)

Greg

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arguably not a mechanical repair.
I found this pretty funny... maybe I just had a long day at work. I think they likely have more boats with outboards where engine work would be easier to identify.

Daniel,

Having done that tank replacement myself, IF you are quiet about it and keep it low key. I think you could do it in the yard you have talked to. As long as your not planning on having the engine rebuilt at the same time. It would be VERY hard to cover moving it off the boat.

Getting the engine out of the compartment is NOT that hard a job. You can slide it forward to the compression post. That SHOULD leave you just enough space to get the tank out (forward then aft out the companion way. Timing of removing the tank from the boat would be advisable. ;)

About the only power tool needed would be a sawsall to clip the top glass covering the tank to hull (IF your tank is foamed in place). I used a long thin hand saw myself. The rest of the work, removing the foam and breaking the tank free, is done by hand.

I know I spent weeks planning on removing the engine from the area. I have now done it 3 times and it's a lot easier than it looks!! :D

Congrats on the new assignment!! MIGHT see ya in a year or two if we head to the Chesapeake. We are talking about it. :)

Greg
I was thinking of moving the engine into the cabin some more, mainly because I couldn't think of how I was going to get it off the boat. With your boat being an aft-cabin, the main cabin starts a little more forward than mine. Here, you can see where the end of the tank goes under part of the cabin floor. My tank removal may require a little more surgery to remove part of the floor. :(

·
Registered
557 Posts
Daniel,

I forgot you had the aft cockpit. But, you still should be able to do it in the storage yard. Just move the engine out before you cut the floor.

Just take your time. :)

Greg

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
Daniel,

Have you thought about calling the auto crafts shop at Belvoir? They've got a pretty big yard, and as a bonus the wood shop is in the same building. If the boat's gonna stay on the trailer, they just may be accommodating.

Another alternative is Herrington Harbor North. My average road time (off peak traffic hours) between there and Ashburn was about an hour. Not too onerous, all things considered. Land storage rates aren't too bad, and there's a West Marine on site. Plenty of contractors are also located at the marina (riggers, electronics, woodworking, glass work, boatwrights, etc.)

I retired from Belvoir back in '07. Shoot me a note if you want to pick my brain about the area.

Cheers,
PF

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Went to a few RV storage places where I was told there are waiting lists but was told at one that with my boat on the trailer is pushing 40ft, they didn't have any spaces that would accommodate. While RVs do get long, the spaces for them don't come available that often.

One of the places said was a strict pick-up / drop-off storage. and they all said absolutely no work allowed due to EPA oversight.

So, the search continues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.