SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Congrats Dave! I love using the spinnaker, it's a very useful sail in the light air that we have around here. I just sailed from Port Townsend to Shilshole today with the spinnaker up about 80% of the way. The wind was light (7-10 knots) but we were able to maintain 3.5-4.5 knots (a little faster SOG with current) which allowed us to sail while people all around us were motoring.

On this trip I really came to appreciate my asymmetric spinnaker, a sail that I normally don't like so much. I had my dinghy on the foredeck for much of the trip, which makes working with the spinnaker pole a lot harder. The asym works without it, and a little trimming experience on a J/109 has helped me learn how to jybe the asym smoothly and to fly it more efficiently. I think I'll keep my asym loaded in the sock and use it for cruising, and my symmetrical spinnaker and pole without a sock and ready for racing and more heavily crewed day sails.

Here is my favorite spinnaker photo from my trip:

A small piece of advice: be careful with the guy tension and your pole's position. You don't want it up against your furler and forestay, a strong gust could pull it over and damage the track. Just a couple of inches gives you breathing room to handle stretch in the guy.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts