SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm still glowing from the most outstanding day we had Saturday. Had just the right amount of breeze (4-6k) for a newb to not get himself in too much trouble hoisting a spinnaker. :) It's a big (I'm guessing full size for a 30') tri-radial symetrical chute with an ATN sock. The sock worked pretty slick, (OK you end up with this bunch of sock at the top)... but it sure is easy to hoist and take down. The wife stayed at the helm, I did all the work on deck... we loved it! Even in a boo-boo situation... the port sheet let go from the boat (my bad :eek:) as we were just about to drop it, the sail flew all over to the stbd side of the boat - looked like one of those spinnaker blow out videos, so I just dropped the sock and pulled it all in as wife eased the hallyard.

Like many, I was really aprehensive about even trying the chute. It now stays on board and we will use it. :)

P.S. The black bird is the Allmand Logo

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great!

ETA: btw, those sail ties on your main are like lethal weapons. I can't tell you how many times I got knocked in the forehead with those things when you try to take them off.
I know... I've come close. Reminds me of those "clacker balls on a string" back in the 70's or 80's. Those things could kill you. They'd never be allowed to sell those today!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice!

Soon you'll be saying "blow the guy" without thinking it strange....
I watched a youTube video of the ATN sock... and that's exactly how they say to do it. So... by mistake, I snuffed the chute properly. :rolleyes: Because we didn't know the guy had just come undone, it freaked us out having the chute all flying on the stbd side. But I was already on deck and just dropped the sock... no big. So, that will be what I say to the wife. :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome! just an observation though your furler looks loose or not furled in tight with a wrap or 2 of the sheets, 3rd pic right above the pole

or maybe its a loose uv cover?

just something to avoid getting snagged on...the smoother the better

congrats!
Thanks Christian. You're correct... sloppy job on my part with the furler. :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts