SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone see an issue with using this material as a backing plate? Specifically for thru-hulls and for deck mounted hardware. It is a polyester thermoset non-woven fiberglass sheet.

Here are some of the specs I found on it:

Compressive -- 30kpsi
Tensile -- 8k kpsi
Flexural -- 22 kpsi
Water absorption -- 0.2 - 0.44%

at $28 for a square foot vs. G10 at $51, it seems like a very cost effective way to get backing plates and beats the heck out of laying it up myself.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
6,771 Posts
Laying it up yourself takes no time at all! Wax a sheet of glass, cut cloth/mat, mix resin, laminate & roll out air with a fiberglass roller, let cure. I usually make 2'X2' sheets. While I really like G-10 it is so easy to do yourself..

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Making up your own sheets of fiberglass is very simple and probably far cheaper. You can also make it custom shapes for hull interior locations that aren't flat.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Do I understand that you can make your own fiberglass plate strong enough to be used for backing plates? Why can’t you just double up on the fiberglass in the areas you need strengthening? Speaking of G-10… What thickness do you recommend for deck hardware on a C34 (knowing that she gets more than her share of abuse on S.F Bay/NorCal offshore. I can’t decide between ¼ and 3/8 inch. I am gearing up to do the Long Pac race in a couple of years and Freya needs to be bullet proof (400 nm Class 1 singlehanded race). Also, how much of an oversize (to the deck hardware footprint) do you recommend? I’m thinking at least larger than the fender washers I would use on the through-bolts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen,
I completely agree that laying up a sheet of fiberglass isn't an insurmountable task. However, it isn't a 20 minute task for many people as we don't have local suppliers of materials and our work areas need to multitask. IOW, in my current situation, it'd be easier and less expensive to purchase this ready made material.

I would rather just cut some octagonal backing plates on my tablesaw and be done with it. Which has me wondering if anyone has a concern using GPO-3 instead of G10. Even at $51 a SF for the G10, I think it's probably a wash over laying up my own for my limited needs.

Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts