SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

10,850 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, especially the ellectronics gurus here...I really need your help with a question, please.

I have a Garmmin 185C GPS on my boat, that has it's dedicated antenna, that was embedded in the deck for low profile.

Now, as most know I have a radar I am installing, and that has GPS feature.

My question is, do I need a dedicated antenna for the raymarine or I can "tap" off the Garmin's antenna??

If I can what wire and connectors should I use.

I hate having to drill holes on my boat for a second GPS antenna..that's why I ask.

Thank you for your responses

Alex

10,850 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANK YOU...

Damn...you guys made my head spin...what the hell are you talking about???

In a boat I can only sail...are you nuts??? I don't even know half thje stuff you guys talk about..

I m calling Cam on the phone...I am more confused than before...

sorry..my fault not yours

10,850 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK...this is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called Garmin, and the girl there wasn't or sounded very knowleagable (SP??)

She said I could not split the wire from the Garmin antenna and feed it to the Raymarine. But she also said she wasn't sure..

The Raymarine guy (and Cam) said I could, just cut the antenna wire from the antenna to the Garmin, put new terminals or whatever they are called, split it, and put new wires to the raymarine.

Feeding a wire, from the back of the garmin GPS at the nav station, to the raymarine at the stbd wheel is a nightmare, too far and too many panels to remove...weight of the wire too.

Installing a GPS antenna in the radar pole is bad, becaus the pole may come off most of the time

Installing a GPS antenna on the push pit looks ugly, and is a risk of snag, plus need to make a hole to pass the cable.

Installing the GPS antenna in the deck, flush, means another great big hole on the deck...

What shall I do???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

10,850 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK...we have a winner..

after discussing with Cam (thank you G.), and with Raymarine, and you guys (thank you all), I was advised to install the second antenna. The RS125. They claim a pinpoint of 3 meters or less. Also have a redundancy. So this is the solution.

BUT what made me chose this was this here bellow.

The Raymarine antenna is divided in two parts, and I can have just the top mounted on the deck (they provide a dedicated gasket), and a small 1/4 in hole on the deck for it!!!!

Which I can deal with..With this system, the antenna will be only 6 feet away from the radar screen..

The downside of it..$300.00 for the antenna, but I can live with it.

THANK you guys!!!

Thank you!!!!

I owe you guys one!!
Alex

10,850 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you talked to anybody on how you will disconnect the Radar cable at the boat side when you remove the radar pole? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.<O:p
George, thank you.

I have to buy these plugs (male female rubber connectors), that will allow that.

Basically when I disconnect the wire, inside the boat, the whole wire comes off with this plug.

Then the hole where the wire comes thru the hull is plugged with another plug I need to aquire. The hole is built into the hinged radar base, which is water proof.

Now, yes, the Garmin antenna goes only and straight to the Garmin.

Passin wires from the Garmin, inside the nav station, on port side, means remova all ceilings, on both aft cabins, and...I don't even put this option...

I go for the flush Raymarine antenna..simple, easy and clean.

10,850 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Gee George...what the hell is a "high speed bus"???? was it that bus in the movie SPEED???? With the annoying irritating Sandra Ballsock??

Why did you have to make it more complicated...wait..speed???will that increase boat's speed???

I am only going to Madeira, a 700NM trip in 2 or 3 days...a sextant works good too...besides when I went there first GPS's were'nt available and we found it..

But I will look into that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.