SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Reaction score
Giu,

Most GPS devices have an output connector, which allows you to connect other devices which can make use of the positioning information. This usually takes place via standard NMEA connections.

The Garmin GPSMAP 185C Sounder supports up to 3 NMEA devices. The following is from Appendix A of the Garmin manual,

"NMEA Formats
The following formats are supported for connection to up to 3 NMEA devices:
. NMEA 0180/NMEA0182
. NMEA 0183 version 1.5
. NMEA 0183 version 2.0"

So, you hook the output of the 185C to your Raymarine, and you should be good to go.

By the way, apropos of your other recent post, you'll want to be sure that the AWG18/2 wire connecting the Garmin to the radar is approved by Garmin, Raymarine, the NMEA, the ABYC, the EU, and other appropriate regulatory bodies :) In my experience, this should not take longer than about six months. No doubt Dog will also want a piece of the action!

Bill
This is what I was thinking although the Raymarine might not accept NMEA input from another device since I think it's equipped with its own receiver correct?

I think the actual question was whether the Raymarine and the Garmin can share the same antenna. I can't speak for the specific devices but my answer would probably be no or at least not out of the box. In order for 2 devices to use the same antenna you would have to isolate them from each other using some sort of duplexor. Whether one exists for this application, I don't know. Now if you want to use the Raymarine INSTEAD of the Garmin then you might be able to find an adapter for the antenna connections.

2,241 Posts
Reaction score
THANK YOU...

Damn...you guys made my head spin...what the hell are you talking about???

In a boat I can only sail...are you nuts??? I don't even know half thje stuff you guys talk about..

I m calling Cam on the phone...I am more confused than before...

sorry..my fault not yours
Ok I'll rephrase. I'll make sure to use small words for you :)

take the garmin thingy and get a wire to hook it to the raymarine thingy so they can talk and be friends. If they get along the garmin thingy till tell the raymarine thingy where the boat is and the raymarine thingy will show you. Just be nice to the raymarine thingy..

2,241 Posts
Reaction score
You can split a NMEA0183 output signal and have it read by up to 4 listeners using a simple junction box. Anything past that you need an actual black box that splits it properly.

Garmin -> junction box -> other devices

Boy that connector on the back of the 185 is a goofy thing. Why couldn't they just put dedicated connectors on the back? One for NMEA, one to the transducer, one for power.
Or use something standard like, oh I don't know, RS-232

2,241 Posts
Reaction score
OK...this is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called Garmin, and the girl there wasn't or sounded very knowleagable (SP??)
The Raymarine guy (and Cam) said I could, just cut the antenna wire from the antenna to the Garmin, put new terminals or whatever they are called, split it, and put new wires to the raymarine.
Be careful with this option. It might work but I suspect you'll end up dropping the sensitivity of both units (more likely to lose GPS lock or take longer to get a lock). Not saying it won't work, just might have some adverse effects. I think the best method is to do what George and others have said. Split the NMEA signal.

As for Bene's comment, I suggest you look into a portable antenna to use incase the main antenna dies.

2,241 Posts
Reaction score
You are not doing your installation right if you don't reflect on how simple it was to use the sextant and sight reduction tables at least once. Speaking of high speed buses - What is wrong with Sandra Bullock anyway? She can drive my bus anytime. In the network, the HSB is really the standard network bus we use with our computers. It's just a lot faster compared to the serial port/RS232/NMEA baud rate. This enables you to utilize your laptop as a true repeater for your system. So while you're lying seasick in your bunk, you can monitor the progress of your 'best helmsman" as you speed towards Madeira. While you're doing your install - have you considered adding the video camera function too? That way you will never have to leave your cabin until you hit the Canaries! Let me know if you want any more suggestions on how to spend your money.
If you're explaining to Giu it's falling on deaf ears. He has no clue about electronics and computer technology. Suffice to say that a bus is a path to send data between devices.

I think the best bet is to take all the parts to the installer and tell them what you want to do and what you want him to NOT do (cut big holes) and let them figure out the best way to integrate the 2 devices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.