SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me how to operate a Garmon 540 GPS for my sailboat? I am not quite sure how it works even after reading manual. Is it as simple as they say it is?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Umm... Welcome to Sailnet. I'd highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet.

A bit more information would be useful....like what you're trying to do with the chart plotter... The garmin's are generally relatively simple to use... and RTFM isn't generally necessary.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Yeah, watch the jargon! I'm very proficient with my Garmin, but I have no idea what RTFM means. Is this another abreviation used by the "Texters"? Don't tell me it's, "Read The F------ Manual!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yeah, watch the jargon! I'm very proficient with my Garmin, but I have no idea what RTFM means. Is this another abreviation used by the "Texters"? Don't tell me it's, "Read The F------ Manual!
Read The Fine Manual. Ahem. :D

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
RTFM in this particular instance means READING THE F***** MANUAL.

BTW, asking, "how it works" is a very vague question... yes, Garmin chartplotters are relatively simple devices to operate, at least for the most basic functions. If you have a specific question regarding the operation of the chartplotter... asking it would probably be a good way to get it answered. :rolleyes:

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,544 Posts
wbcj44,

I can relate to your frustration. When I first purchased my first GPS, Garmin GPSmap 478 (a simple auto-boat unit), I was totally confused. I found the manual very frustrating and could not figure out why it would show auto and not marine charts. I played with my unit for about two days before I got the hang of how to do anything with it. I almost returned the unit..

To put this in perspective, I do not consider myself a tech-idiot. I have taught courses in computer hardware, software, and storage networking at various points in my career. I'm no tech-genius either. My kids will vouch for that:) .

I now believe that if someone with some experience with this unit could have shown me the basics, I would have saved a lot of frustration, and probably 12 hours.

I suggest that you go to the nearest West Marine, or other store that carries this unit. Start playing around with it. Sooner or later a sales person, or another customer will come by to see what you're doing. Strike up a conversation (If you meet a sales person, I suggest that you do not disclose that you have already bought the unit. The conversation will get real short:rolleyes: ).

There is a TON of experience here in SailNet. However, your question
Can anybody tell me how to operate a Garmon 540 GPS for my sailboat?
is far too vague for us to offer specific useful information. This is why suggestions like "connect it to power," "turn it on," "mount the antenna," "look at the screen," and "RTFM";) will be offered to you.

Alternatively, if you'd like to pay my expenses, send me a PM and I will come to your boat and show you the basics... I hope that you have a nice boat, because it could take me a while to figure it out. I guarantee that I will have a full report by September :D ;)

Good luck!

Ed

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Ed—

That's a very selfless and generous offer you're making... :)
Alternatively, if you'd like to pay my expenses, send me a PM and I will come to your boat and show you the basics... I hope that you have a nice boat, because it could take me a while to figure it out. I guarantee that I will have a full report by September :D ;)

Good luck!

Ed

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,544 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts