SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over forty years ago my grandfathers sailing dinghy was sold after his death. He had a Fleetwind sailing dinghy with a sail number FW514 based in Clacton On Sea, Essex. Occasionally a Fleetwind appears for sale on the internet, which has made me wonder what happened to his boat. Could it still be around today?

If you know of a Fleetwind sailing dinghy with sail number FW514, or a Fleetwind dinghy near Clacton, then I would like to know more about it. I know this is a long shot, but it would be brilliant to find it after all these years.

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if you know where to find plans for constructing a Fleetwind dinghy or have photos or details of one, then I would also be interested in that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think this will not be good enough now to sail in the sea. (Well that is just an assumption).
There's no reason why it wouldn't still be seaworthy if it has been looked after well. Anyway, I'm just trying to find out what happened to it, even if it ended up as firewood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Alasdair

Regarding Fleetwinds and your grandfather, I remember him well. In particular, I recall an open meeting at Chipstead SC in about 1969 which was particularly windy. Most Fleetwinds capsised. Your grandfather had the sense to stay ashore and took some superb cine film of the action!

The Fleetwind class is still semi-active and I can give you much information both current and historical. I also have a card detailing his ownership of his Fleetwind with other details.

Incidentally the name of his Fleetwind was Longawait, which he built in 1963.

He was a member of Gunfleet Sailing Club at Clacton. My wife and I travelled to Clacton two or three time in the 1970s for open meetings. We may have some photographs.

Meanwhile, if the cine film at Chipstead SC is still in existence, I should very much like to take a copy.

Best wishes Gordon

p.s. I am not familiar with the workings of a forum, and therefore I have not given personal details - your Grandfather's name for instance. It would be convenient to send information by email, but that may be against the rules.
Perhaps you can advise me on this.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts

p.s. I am not familiar with the workings of a forum, and therefore I have not given personal details - your Grandfather's name for instance. It would be convenient to send information by email, but that may be against the rules.
Alasdair,

If you wish to be contacted privately, please provide an email address. You don't have enough posts to send or receive private messages via the forum and anyone registering just to respond to you won't have enough, either.

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Alasdair

Regarding Fleetwinds and your grandfather, I remember him well. In particular, I recall an open meeting at Chipstead SC in about 1969 which was particularly windy. Most Fleetwinds capsised. Your grandfather had the sense to stay ashore and took some superb cine film of the action!

The Fleetwind class is still semi-active and I can give you much information both current and historical. I also have a card detailing his ownership of his Fleetwind with other details.

Incidentally the name of his Fleetwind was Longawait, which he built in 1963.

He was a member of Gunfleet Sailing Club at Clacton. My wife and I travelled to Clacton two or three time in the 1970s for open meetings. We may have some photographs.

Meanwhile, if the cine film at Chipstead SC is still in existence, I should very much like to take a copy.

Best wishes Gordon

Thank you for the reply Gordon. If you have any photos or more information then that would be great. My email address is [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Fleetwind this summer, thinking my kids and I could use it on the lake near us in Brittany France,,, but We just don't get time !!! but this story really touched me and I wish you luck with all you find out. I don't know where to look for the number on the dinghy, it's not on the side, but maybe it's been repainted as it's white and pale blue. If anyone can tell me where to look I'll uncover her and do a search. michele sivyer on fb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts