SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this has probably been posted about, but I just read the book "Dark Wind, a Survivor's Tale of Love and Loss", by Gordon Chaplin, and I think it would be a great book for anyone to read who is thinking about going out on an offshore cruise without the proper experience, equipment, knowledge, and mindset.

I got mad reading it, thinking how many people who don't sail, read this book, and now think everyone who goes to sea in a cruising sailboat is suicidal, or stupid.

Anyway, a good book to check out from the library (I'm glad I didn't buy it and send money to this moron) and see a real world ending for someone who thinks luck will cover all of the contingencies.

I won't spoil it anymore than the jacket cover does, by saying, it is a good example of why you don't sail to isolated islands in the Pacific during Typhoon season (I'm not really sure the author even knew what a typhoon was, before setting out).

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm sure this has probably been posted about, but I just read the book "Dark Wind, a Survivor's Tale of Love and Loss", by Gordon Chaplin, and I think it would be a great book for anyone to read who is thinking about going out on an offshore cruise without the proper experience, equipment, knowledge, and mindset.

I got mad reading it, thinking how many people who don't sail, read this book, and now think everyone who goes to sea in a cruising sailboat is suicidal, or stupid.

Anyway, a good book to check out from the library (I'm glad I didn't buy it and send money to this moron) and see a real world ending for someone who thinks luck will cover all of the contingencies.

I won't spoil it anymore than the jacket cover does, by saying, it is a good example of why you don't sail to isolated islands in the Pacific during Typhoon season (I'm not really sure the author even knew what a typhoon was, before setting out).
I love your review! I read the book a long time ago and forgot all about it. So I googled up a NYT's review that includes the first chapter, and then I remembered why I read the book.

There seems to be some connections between these disaster-near disaster, at sea accounts. One of those is an underlying suicidal tendency in a few of the authors. Even though Chaplin says Susan had the suicidal gene, I think it's as much his.

Another connection is that good writing(I thought Chaplin's writing was good), and knowing a about sailing in general, don't need to be connected to create a good read.

Here's the review that gives the whole thing away. :)

Dark Wind

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
That has to be one of those posters on Sailnet starting treads like "How easy it is to circumnavigate solo?", "Can I sail around the world for under 10 grand?" and so on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.