SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to provide my experience buying sails from Great Circle sails for fellow cruisers.

I ordered a rolling furling genoa and a mainsail with 5 battens and two reef points for a Manta 38 catamaran.

Please be aware that measurement of the sails is the responsibility of the buyer. Forms are provided that are reasonably understandable.

Great Circle Sails states in their ad in Cruising Compass.

"Awesome Quality"
“Awesome Service"
“Awesome Prices"

The quality of the sails appears to be good. An independent Florida loft stated the mainsail appeared to have good quality construction. The sails were made by Craig Millar Sail loft in South Africa.

Unfortunately, the service, in my opinion, left a lot to be desired. Communication between business, the loft and the customer are a real problem. The sails took 5 months from submission of measurements to delivery. The delay was eventually explained by lack of communication between the loft and business. Information provided with the measurements was either not provided to the loft or ignored. No explanation was provided

Price as quoted was about 3/4 what I was quoted by other lofts, so that promise matched my expectations

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
It doesn't seem like you are hurt very badly, there is typically quite a time delay in having sails made, accepting the mistake of being "expected" to do your own measuring. Is a red flag. Even the experts sometimes get measurements wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts