SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Kind of weird, but GLNS let me (a civilian) in for the summer. I've got a slip there for my Ericson27 (still awaiting launch) and am wondering if there's anyone else here with experience in the GLNS harbor. Last year, the largest boat in the slips was 26', so I'm wondering if I'm pushing the depth. Harbor master says no worries with 4' draft.

This is pretty darn exciting for me, as I live only about 3 miles from the marina, and can now ride my bicycle there in roughly 15 minutes door to hatch.

I hope you're all having as much fun thinking about the summer as I am!

Marcus

·
Registered
370 Posts
That is very cool Marcus. Looks nice

Great Lakes Naval Training Center in Illinois, United States

I had a buddy who was involved in their Sail Training on their fleet of Colgate 26's and never had a chance to take him up on his invitation to go sailing with him out of that harbor. From what he relayed, after 9/11, security went waaay up, so I never even bothered to look into it.

We have a 37 with 5' shoal draft and keep her up at NorthPoint. See you out on the Lake.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As a Sea Scout, we spent a couple of long weekends at GLNTC many decades ago. Best memories are of the drill team who raised and lowered the colors at start and end of each day. It was impressive to see them carry out the drill. More impressive was their march back to their barracks, during which they displayed an encylcopedic knowledge of chants, most of which could not be printed here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven't been past it recently, but I sailed by a few years ago when I did winter storage in Waukegan (2005, maybe?) and it looked abandoned at the time.

How much did you pay for a slip? And do you know what the largest slip size or mooring swing is?

This is handy to know in case I ever move to the North Shore since Gilson is impossible to get into and Waukegan is...well...Waukegan ;)

·
Badger Sailor
189 Posts
I haven't been past it recently, but I sailed by a few years ago when I did winter storage in Waukegan (2005, maybe?) and it looked abandoned at the time.

How much did you pay for a slip? And do you know what the largest slip size or mooring swing is?

This is handy to know in case I ever move to the North Shore since Gilson is impossible to get into and Waukegan is...well...Waukegan ;)
All of the information you are looking for can be found at - http://mwrgl.cnic.navy.mil/recreation/marina/brochure2009.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts