SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said on here some time ago that I was giving up sailing and buying a power boat. That part is done: we have a 1999 Formula 330 SS which we love. Does 40 knots without breaking a sweat, and the family, which has no interest in sailing, loves it. But: the marina where we keep the sailboat has recently changed policy, and we are now allowed to rent two slips. That means that we will be keeping the sailboat, and I'll have the best of both worlds. You do win, sometimes, whether you deserve it or not.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Congrats. Of course you could have just done it the easy way and got a Hunter 27E :D

Just kidding. Actually I wish I could have 2 slips myself.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Or a Mac 26M

·
Registered
407 Posts
Congrats. As a sail and power owner (widely different locations though), I know the joy of just casting off lines and flying away at 30+ knots (Top speed actually 63knots GPS confirmed) in a power boat and also the feeling of the departure ritual for sail.

The only problem is twice the headaches when stuff goes wrong, 2 x the insurance. HUGE fuel bills. My Northstar 1000 (30', Atomic IV, 30hp, 7000lbs dry) holds 50 litres of gas and only cost $68 to fill at the end of the season at $1.68/litre. The Bertram Moppie (20', 5.7l Merc, 270Hp EFI, 2750lbs dry) holds 250 litres and my last fill was $150 at $1.35/litre.

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
But: the marina where we keep the sailboat has recently changed policy, and we are now allowed to rent two slips. That means that we will be keeping the sailboat, and I'll have the best of both worlds. You do win, sometimes, whether you deserve it or not.

Heck, I'd have just claimed the powerboat was the tender for the sailboat.

·
Registered
969 Posts
To all the other sailboaters out there;

Beware of the DARK SIDE, is the DARK SIDE stronger? No, but it's Quicker, easier and more seductive.

Just having a little fun,

Getting a new boat, any kind of new boat is a great time.

Take Care,

Mike

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
I said on here some time ago that I was giving up sailing and buying a power boat. That part is done: we have a 1999 Formula 330 SS which we love. Does 40 knots without breaking a sweat, and the family, which has no interest in sailing, loves it. But: the marina where we keep the sailboat has recently changed policy, and we are now allowed to rent two slips. That means that we will be keeping the sailboat, and I'll have the best of both worlds. You do win, sometimes, whether you deserve it or not.
Drynoc,
Congratulations, please do us (read me) a favor. Keep a log of usage on both boats and associated costs and report back in a year or so with the results and why you think they are that way. As a reformed power-boater, I for one would be curious to see ancedotal evidence for one over the other when the opportunity to use both exists.

Michael

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's how it will work

I like to do both, but here is how it will work out: when the family is in the mood to boat, we'll go on the power boat because that is all they are interested in. When I am by myself and not in the mood to work, I'll go out on the sailboat by myself. Other stray facts: sailing is not that great in the summer around here, so that will be a better time to power. Sailing is better in the spring and fall. I can't see very many reasons to go on the power boat alone, although that will happen on rare occasions. Prediction: 60% power, and 40% sail, and it won't have anything to do with any sort of calculation. It will all have to do with who wants to go and how good the sailing is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts