SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Great Sailing Movie...

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Kacper 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I took my sister and mother sailing yesterday, and made a really nice movie of it :)

YouTube - Vancouver Spring Sailing

Enjoy! I'm the guy in the yellow jacket and glasses.

Kacper

#2 · (Edited)
Nice video... Damn... that water is flat... not like the day I was out last year... What is the music in the video?? You should also add what kind of boat you're on to the keywords IMHO. Finally, your editing sequence is kind of whacked... you've got the segments in reverse order AFAICT. First is sailing, then you have the genoa unfurling, then you have the main being raised... what's up with that???

I love the part when your mom starts singing Rod Stewart's Sailing... LOL.

Damn beautiful country up there.. tough to screw up the videography with that area as a backdrop. ;)

BTW, it looks like you need to ease the topping lift a bit more when you're sailing, as your mainsail appears to be bagging due to the boom being supported by the topping lift. That'll give you pretty poor sail shape IMHO. You seem to have eased it a bit further into the video though.

I noticed you don't seem to tilt the OB up. Doing that would probably give you a bit more speed, as it seems that it'd be dragging in the water the way it was in the video.

One thing—your mom was wearing a light blue jacket, and had she gone overboard, she would have been pretty tough to spot...since blue is one of the colors that blends in really nicely with the water... If you're going to take her sailing often, get her some bright red or yellow gear to wear. Also, down jackets, and that's what hers looked like, will absorb a lot of water and weigh a ton if they get wet.

#3 ·
You're being way too critical SD ;) . . . I enjoyed the video, well done - in spite of some "wacked" sequences. Based upon the setting sun later in the day and the temporary look to the sail ties, it is possible that they dropped sails in a cove for a while, then sailed away. I do agree though that the jib is normally not unfurled before the main.

The first part of the sound score sounds a lot like the theme from Pirates of The Caribbean. Nice, albeit very cold, daysail Kacper - thanks for sharing.

#5 ·
Kacper,
Nicely done, it certainly is beautiful up there in your neck of the woods. Sometimes it's not about the details, neatly flaking the main ext. but more so the time spent with family, making memories and that you certainly have.
Bill,

#6 · (Edited)
TB-

I still gave the video four woofs...and a tail wag.. ;) You're probably right about the stop in a cove though...

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism IMHO.

Albie-

BTW, since you asked-try this link. It's from last season though...and the conditions were probably as cool as those Kacper had, but the winds and sea state a bit more lively... However, in fairness to Kacper, the boat I have is a good deal larger than the one he is on-actually would probably dwarf his boat... But not as large as TB Nauticat 33. Size is a relative thing... and boats get bigger exponentially.

#7 · (Edited)
sailingdog said:
One thing-your mom was wearing a light blue jacket, and had she gone overboard, she would have been pretty tough to spot...since blue is one of the colors that blends in really nicely with the water.
Nice video, really gets me even more anxious to get out sailing. We planned to scratch a couple of items off the pre-launch to do list this weekend, but it was cold windy and there was even snow at Deltaville this weekend. Unbelieveable! I hope we can catch up and get launched by the end of the month at the latest. Regardless, we plan to be sailing next weekend training to as pick-up crew with the racing set.

As far as the blue coat, has anyone else noticed that much of the foul weather gear designed for women only comes in colors that would be hard to spot like blue or light green and if they have another color its something like pink? It took us a bit of looking to find foul weather gear that was small enough to fit my wife that came in a high vis red.

#8 ·
Thread hijack! Women's foulies

midlifesailor said:
..but it was cold windy and there was even snow at Deltaville this weekend. Unbelieveable!
Yeah, tell me about that. My fingers and toes went numb working on the boat yesterday (Middle River). I hope today's better, but I'll probably fire up the propane heater anyway.

midlifesailor said:
As far as the blue coat, has anyone else noticed that much of the fowl weather gear designed for women only comes in colors that would be hard to spot like blue or light green and if they have another color its something like pink? It took us a bit of looking to find foul weather gear that was small enough to fit my wife that came in a high vis red.
My wife finally found a pretty nice Gore-Tex multi-layer jacket, with back and pit vents and a detachable high-density fleece liner, from Columbia. In this case, it's dark blue - a terrible color. Where did your wife find a good red jacket?

Cheers!

#9 · (Edited)
A couple of years ago, I saw some fairly decent Henri Lloyd foul weather gear on clearance at WM. The extra small size was only available in red, and was perfect for several of my relatives, so I bought a bunch of them. The real reason I was buying them was that they were off-shore foulies that had an integrated harness, and I wanted the harnesses... so I gave the jackets to my friends and relatives and kept the harnesses. The jackets were only $26, which is far less expensive than sailing harnesses normally sell for, and the jackets, one of which my aunt, mother and sister each have were essentially free. ;)

BTW, the Henri Lloyd women's gear seems to be geared quite well towards petite women... all of the ones I bought for are in the 5'-5' 5" range and weigh less than 130 lbs, and the extra smalls I bought fit quite well.

I think it is unfortunate that even the sailing specifc gear for women is generally in really unsafe color palettes.

#10 ·
Ya done fine Kacper. The criticism was meant to be constructive, if a little exhaustive! (g) Thanks I enjoyed it. I was gratified to see that even though the music from BraveHeart was playing, it did not presage you losing your head! (G)

Now about that sister...
You will be video taping in the summer won't you, when we can see more of her pretty face, won't you?

#11 ·
One other question kacper. What software did you use to make the video??? I am betting you used iMovie and a Mac... but that's just me...

#12 ·
THanks guys :)

Hey guys,

Thank you for the comments :) I followed the advice from the last video and did not put in country music :D

SD....in answer to your comments

Sorry to burst your bubble, but...Actually, your observations were wrong :(

1. The topping lift was fully released, that boat actually never had a topping lift and the sailing club just added it this week, so I made sure to let it out. You may have noticed it tightened in the first shot, when we were just raising it and the main'sil was flapping in the wind... I let it out fully shortly after :)

2. I always put the OB up, it was up the whole time we were using the sails. Some shots we were actually motor sailing hence the motor was in use. We only used it for about 10 minutes because we had a hole in the wind we had to get through.

Lol, and the genoa unfurling before the main was not the actual order, I just flipped the shots in reverse ;)

I am very glad you loved the video anyway :)

The boat was a Catalina Capri 22'

#13 ·
sailingdog said:
One other question kacper. What software did you use to make the video??? I am betting you used iMovie and a Mac... but that's just me...
Yup. iMovie. I love that thing, it's really easy to use.

The soundtrack was

part 1: pirates of the carribean (spelled the c word wrong I bet)

part 2: braveheart sountrack - freedom theme

#14 ·
Ah.. that explains it... how strong was the wind that day??

Yup...sure did. Caribbean... 1 "R" 2 "B's", and dropped the "D" in soundtrack. ;)

Also, did you take a look at the video link I put in my second post? Also done in iMovie on a MacBook Pro. What Mac do you use?

#16 ·
Soul searcher—

Use Camino as a browser. Previously, helping others trouble shoot Mac problems with sailnet has shown that Safari and Firefox (1.x) have problems with Sailnet. I believe that Firefox 2.x is okay as well.

Now back to our regular programming... :D

#18 ·
Soul searcher-

De nada... any other mac questions, PM me... ;)

#19 ·
We had very changing light winds. When you're crossing the passages and islands here the winds change all the time.

in the end there was a little spot where the wind picked up to 10 knots, it was great because thats when we had to go on a run, so gave us a faster down-wind leg :)

#21 ·
resdog said:
Nice video. This one is pretty good too and uses the P.O.C theme...

YouTube - Pirates of the Caribbean racing
Aye. There's a reason for that theme music. The boat in the video is Disney's entry in the '05-'06 Volvo Ocean Race. She's a Volvo Open 70, named The Black Pearl, and skippered by Paul Cayard.

Here's one of my shots of the Pearl - about to cross the finish in the Chesapeake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.