SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Lie down on this couch and make yourself comfortable.
So tell me, what is your greatest fear when on your boat?
Mine is to damage someone else's boat with my boat; either in a marina/harbor situation or dragging down into them.

·
Superior Sailor
1,031 Posts
I dragged anchor one time on an overnighter...

Was watching fireworks with 50 other boats in the bay... Most of the boats left after the show, but a few of us spent the night...

Wind must have switched around twice during the night, because 5:00 in the morning I am awake to a horrible " bang bang" and feel the boat shudder...

Chain had wrapped around the anchor and pulled it free, getting stuck in the flukes sideways not allowing a reset....

Fortunately, I had just drifted up to the breakwater steel wall and no damage was recorded, but I could have just as easily hit one of my neighbors $50k-$100k boats...

I have insurance, but still an awful feeling of powerlessness to wake up "not" where I parked myself...

I dont ever want to do that again...(drift that is... Fireworks were cool)

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone getting hurt (especially my wife).
Oh, I've solved that problem. It's against the rules to get hurt on any boat I operate. With the cat o nine tails prominently displayed, people follow the rules!

·
Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
Oh, I've solved that problem. It's against the rules to get hurt on any boat I operate.
I incorporate a similar instruction with my safety briefing when I'm out as a hired skipper. After covering MOB procedures I tell them that NO ONE is allowed in the water until the boat is anchored or moored. That way there is NO need to worry about MOBs!!! So far, with fingers crossed and knocking wood, all have followed my instructions...:)

My biggest fear is doing damage to another boat. There are many megayachts around here and I would hate to be billed for even a scratch on one of those.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Docking under challenging conditions...especially in a strange marina...and damaging another boat or boats. Most other stuff I figure I can handle. Docking with wind/current in narrow fairways where I am not sure of the slip configuration gets my heart rate up.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,466 Posts
Docking under challenging conditions...especially in a strange marina...and damaging another boat or boats. Most other stuff I figure I can handle. Docking with wind/current in narrow fairways where I am not sure of the slip configuration gets my heart rate up.
Lived that last summer coming into Mt Sinia Harbor, Long Island Sound. 30 knkts wind, 4 or 5 knot current, dark, tired...

All was well but I made a bad decision and it certainly got my attention. I would like to say my superior seamanship skills kept us safe...ha, maybe...maybe I got lucky?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I have a couple of fears when I'm on the boat. Please don't laugh at me.
My first fear is sailing over a just formed methane bubble as it rises to the surface. The bubble will displace the water under the boat so the boat will fall into the bubble then the water rushes over the top drowning all aboard.
My second fear which is greater than the first is the sudden molecular disassociation of the water molecules and or the fiberglass molecules. The fiberglass disintegration would be survivable but image 3000 feet of air suddenly appearing under your boat. Unless you are wearing a parachute you are pretty much fish food when you hit the bottom.
Oh and water spouts.

Reactions: davidpm

·
Freedom isn't free
3,284 Posts
The list many of you have...
* Water spout (been on the boat in one - albeit in the slip), I was 12 when it happened.
* fire (been there for that, motor caught fire, after backfiring, thought for sure it was gonna blow)
* took a swim while at anchor, and anchor pulled out, had to swim to catch the boat (that's one for the books)...

Not sure what my worst fear is. I know I can expect any number of things to go wrong at any time. I guess one must try hard to anticipate the next disaster, and prepare accordingly. Hope you prepare for it before it happens, that's the difference between a near disaster, versus a real disaster.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.