SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smitten by sailing but without much relevant experience.
Have sailing friends I've been out with. Took a short course in California in 2005. Figure this site may well be the best place to learn and meet kindred spirits.
Twenty years of nursing have given me the ability to remain calm in a crisis. Guess that's a desirable trait for a wannabe sailor. Well, that calm demeanor and a fair bit of good ol' Yankee ingenuity.
Other talents...decent vegaquarian (yes, that's veg -aquarian) cook.
I have traveled and worked abroad over the past several years. Wanting to see more of this amazing orb.
I'm fit and a hard worker. Comments? Be kind!

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Welcome to Sailnet. Sounds like you've got the same illness the rest of us suffer, cured by wind and wave. Visit the various threads and read a lot, yoiu'll find some true characters here. Some are wise and others are wisecrackers, but there is knowledge to be gained and falsehoods to be sorted out. Just part of what makes me visit Sailnet several times a day.

Again, WELCOME.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Take any sailing opportunities you find. Read books about sailing and cruising. Once you are aboard, make yourself useful. Be pleasant and flexible.
fair winds

·
Registered
1 Posts
Green & Loving the adventure

Seems like there are many like us..... land lock with a dream...
I wrote to all the sailing clubs around trying to get on a boat..
A week later, I got a call to join a club sailing team..
Had a great time and learned a hell of a lot.
I had to drive 1 1/2 twice a week 1way, plus further for regattas..
But it was priceless!!!!!!.. My husband was supported and the kids knew..
It was mom's days off...
I am still waiting for the day I buy my trailer size so I can puttputt around..
untill then I will keep hitching a ride..
Good luck..

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again

Thank you to all you kind sailors out there. The words of encouragement and advice are certainly appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nomadic, there are many on this site who would be happy to help you get some on-the-water experience. It would help us to help you if we knew where you are (geographically). Are you still in California? LA, SF, somewhere else?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
present location

I am currently living in Boynton Beach, Fl. There are no doubt opportunities in my area but not being part of the culture leaves me clueless as to how to access those.
Thanks again.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Nomadic—

Welcome to sailnet. I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc..

I'd also highly recommend you get a copy of David Seidman's The Complete Sailor. It is the book I generally refer all people who want to learn about sailing to, since it is well written, with good illustrations, and covers a very wide breadth of sailing history, theory, and techniques. About $16 at most major bookstores.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Follow the wind and sails Nomadicnature...the eastern shore of FL is FULL of opportunities. Search for local clubs, rentals, races and even ramps, folks are ALWAYS looking for crew and ultimately get yourself a small sailboat and take the helm...you will not truly learn until you do.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Nomadicnature, I too am new to this site, and only reciently begun sailing what I consider BIG boats... I've been sailing 35 years Caught the fever young ( from a sunfish to a catalina 25) I reciently purchased a 38 foot Tri and have been putting it back in to service.......2 years of work was worth it. now I have to go and put in lots of time and learn her ways. I have read alot of the posts replying to you and the people here sound great... Lots of experience and good advice ie: The complete sailor was a great read, So good luck and fairwinds to you.

·
236 Posts
I talked to a guy in tires plus in Stuart today who used to be a commodore of a yacht club. He thought there was a club in Port Salerno who put on some sailing regattas. He did not know the name and it had been awhile. He said his club was pretty much all powerboats as was most of the area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts