SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Reaction score
I don't know if the other Brewer Yard in Greenport is any cheaper than Sterling Harbor. Back a few years ago, it tended to have more sailors but was not quite as picturesque. It is only 100 yards down the road from Sterling Harbor. For me it was the yard of choice for leaving my boat for the winter. It is the best yard I have ever been to by far and the manager, Mike Acebo, is as good as one gets.

One option of being in Greenport is that you can choose not to drive to get there. Once in NYC, easy to get to from Jersey City, you can take a train or a Hampton Jitney on their North Fork line. It takes a while but you can read or listen to books on tape (or try to reconcile Einstein's Theory of General Relativity with String Theory) or just nap. I did this for years with Sag Harbor as my home port when I lived in NYC. I'd leave the car out there and let the Jitney drive deal with the traffic.

· Registered
125 Posts
Reaction score
Regarding smurphny's comment on traffic: Ever get on I-95 East on a Friday in the summer? You can walk faster than you can drive. And I think you will find that slip rates in Connecticut and RI and Massachusetts will be comparable to those in Greenport. As to sailing in Gardner's Bay, I have found it a wonderful place to sail. (I called Sag Harbor home port for 18 years.) And there a dozen places where you can drop the hook for the night within a 45 minute to 1 1/2 hours sail from your slip, plus Newport and Block Island are only a day sail away.

But a wordof warning. The recession is over for lots of folks and slips rent fast these days. So decide soon or you won't be in any of the places discussed.

Regards,
Captain Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.