SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Future sailor
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I've visited this forum before but never registered till today. I've always enjoyed sailing, but its only recently that I've gotten this wild idea in my head to turn it into a lifestyle. (still working on convincing the wife! :laugher but she's cool- and I think I'll succeed!). Anyway, I've set a plan in motion to minimize our lifestyle and consolidate remaining essentials onto a boat before traveling the wold. I'm already self employed (as of this year after leaving my previous job of 10+ years) and the plan is to get my wife into a "work from home" opportunity as well (corporate recruiting) such that we could both work from the boat while experiencing the world!

I'm giving us about a year or two to follow through with this. Selling 4 motorcycles, a jeep, SUV, and a house (or maybe renting it)...

Going to be interesting minimizing my prototyping equipment for product design onto a boat, but I think I can make it happen.

Anyway, as you can see, this is a kind of a big deal for us. My position remains that the benefits outweigh the negatives by quite a bit. In fact, nearly every time this idea crosses my mind (often!) it gets better!

Glad to be a part the community, and I can't even express how excited I am about the future! Hope to see more of all of you both in person AND in cyberspace!
Cheers!
-Kevin & Amanda

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Do you go sailing on Lake Norman?

Future sailor
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I would- given the opportunity, but usually its powerboats, pontoons, kayaks, or jet skis. I'm also working on a custom hydrofoil prototype myself, but the logistics don't work out well for me owning a sailboat here in Charlotte!

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome, we are from the Charlotte area also. Albemarle actually but work out of Charlotte. Just purchased our second sailboat in Oriental, upgraded from a trailorable. So far we are loving every minute of those long drives. You have to follow your dreams, life is to short.

Future sailor
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I sure do appreciate the support! Definitely plan on making the most of living (somewhat) near the coast! I also have to say that I watched "All is Lost" last night, and I STILL am committed to converting to the sea life! How's THAT for dedication!? :laugher

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.