SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there I've been a lurker member for a while now. We are a year or so into a 10yr plan of packing up, and sailing the carib or atlantic circ. with our 3DD. Thinking towards an 80's irc racer/cruser or a 3cab pilot house. although 2hulls would be great just not in this lifetime. I welcome your thoughts.

thanks
VE3HBJ

·
19,484 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

At this early stage I think you need to refine your 'boat likes/needs' pretty quickly. Casting out such divergent options as "an 80's irc racer/cruiser or a 3cab pilot house. although 2hulls would be great" tells me that you really don't have a solid idea of what you want or think you need.

While the options and availability of 80s racer/cruisers are far and wide, and prices often reasonable, many will say most of them are not ideal for the kind of trip you're proposing - though doubtless some of them are.

A 3 cabin Pilothouse sounds like a Trawler!!.. not sure you'll find much in that line unless you're moving to newer Deck $alon models.

Catamarans are generally on the pricey side..

As ever it would be helpful to expand on your experience, and esp. your budget for people here to give you helpful advise.

Best of luck in your endeavours!

·
Old soul
5,660 Posts
Yes, welcome to SN Ve3hbj from a fellow Ontario sailor. As Faster says, it seems like you're near the beginning of the journey. It takes time to sort out all the options, and more importantly, to discover what you really want and need. I personally recommend buying an inexpensive 25-30 foot cruising boat and start using it. At that size you'll have most of the systems of a larger cruising boat (inboard engine, electrical & plumbing systems, thru-hulls, galley, etc.). You'll get to experience a decent sized rig, with deck, rudder and keel.

Getting out and actually living with this boat will teach you tons about what you actually need and want. You've got some great cruising grounds here on the Great Lakes. Plus, and perhaps most importantly, you'll start to learn the realities of the cruising lifestyle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thank you for your input. realizing we have a long way to go. We are really starting back at day one again after I put the idea aside when dw seemed uninterested and hadn't talked of it in many years (originally a couples 10yr plan). Recently our lives have changed with the birth of dd2&3 and she brought up the idea again and says she's all in. I haven't looked at boats in several years. My YC membership has been gone for several years as well, our needs have changed from a boat for two to five. I grew up sailing dingys, have every intention of buying a weekend sailer in the near future to get us on the water and will be chartering a few times before we totally commit to this plan. we will be gaining a "proper" education through csa instruction. While I'm impulsey and eager I research everything to the nth degree and refuse to venture anything naively or put my family in harms way.

as for budget Im not a rich man and would like to keep it below 100. As such I know there is lots of options well within my budget. my priorities are based on safety/stability, just enough space for everyone to have their own space for those days when they don't get along. Im not a brand man so narrowing it to a specific boat at this point is difficult, as we get farther along I'm sure my wants/needs will better define what we are looking for as time goes on. For now aside from the points listed above a well designed galley, a table and cockpit that will support the 5 of us, reasonable storage preferably not more than two heads, easily single handed, Im sure theres more I haven't expressed yet. theres a long way to go and lots to learn along the way.

I thank you for your input so far theres been some interesting things to look at, and I look forward to more constructive, polite input. naysayers and rudeness need not reply.

·
19,484 Posts
Here's a list of broker boats 36-44 Feet, 50-80K (to leave some cash for Improvements) in the Great Lakes area.

(Sail) Cruiser Boats For Sale

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.