SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and our friends love to sail and dive in the Caribbean. For the last several years we have chartered a catamaran with a captain/divemaster and cook for two glorious weeks in various parts of the Caribbean.

I have very little experience sailing, but want to learn and charter our own boat. I just thought (yesterday) that there would be a fabulous book experience in the process of learning. Starting from the desire to sail among the beautiful islands, and from the vantage point of someone who knows practically nothing about sailing, this book leads the reader from the first day of instruction through to ultimately being a safe and capable captain; one who would feel comfortable either renting or owning a sailboat and living aboard for weeks at a time.

I'm throwing this concept out there to see if anyone thinks it would be a good idea. (or if anyone knows of a book such as this that's already written!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
That sounds like a really good idea, and I can't immediately think of a book like it (then again I don't know about that many sailing books haha) My only concern is making it appeal across a wide range of yachts. If it can cover the different rigging one might encounter across a range of yachts then I think you're on to a winner.

Btw its my dream to sail around the Caribbean one day - I'm very jealous

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Welcome, I'm not aware of such a book, but I am aware that most competent sailors have learned on very small boats and then advanced to larger ones. The "advance" is in size, but not skill. If someone learns how to sail a small boat the larger will be easier. The response to your actions is quicker on a small boat and you can more easily understand the effect of each adjustment to the sheet or tiller. It would be difficult for me to accept that a sailor would be as competent if he was not skilled on a small sailboat. Manuvering and docking under power are the only added skills necessary to operate the larger vessel. 'tke care and joy, Aythya crew

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The book "A Splendid Madness" by Thomas Froneck is similar, the plot being a man driven by mid-life crisis learns to sail and buys a boat. Concentrates a little more on the "buying/being a boat owner" aspect, and the pitfalls encountered in learning to sail and buying a boat that "just needs a little TLC". It was a gift from my in-laws to the wife along with a one titled "Cape Horn" "One Man's Dream, One Women's Nightmare" by Reanne Hemingway-Douglass. You can guess at the theme of THAT one, ain't family great?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the book referrals. Upon your recommendation I ordered "A Splendid Madness." Quite a fitting title.

And thanks to the others who responded to my post. I'm a web designer and documented one of our adventures in the BVI online several years ago. It included our Tortola experiences with an ItGo rental car. I didn't try to be humorous, just factual and it was a great success. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing my progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts